1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shame on you Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by quattro100, Oct 18, 2012.

1. quattro100

quattro100 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I have been with Tivo since 2000. I purchased one of the early Sony branded Tivo boxes Series 1 and signed up for Lifetime Service. I later upgraded to the Tivo HD and added another Tivo HD box to my collection, both with Lifetime service. I loved my Tivo boxes and liked the company very much. What they were doing at the time in my opinion was well ahead of others with respect to function and interface and I couldnt be a happier customer. When I did have an issue, they were able to resolve it.

Things changed recently. For the past 4 days, I was unable record shows or view the guide because of an error message that I needed to activate service. I contacted customer service via chat the first day because the wait time on the phone was 15 minutes. They told me to connect to service via the menu, unplug the box, connect to service again. Didnt fix the problem.
    I called them on the phone the second day. Was told the same thing, didnt fix the problem.
    I called them the third day, told the same thing.....connect to service, unplug the box, connect to service again....didnt solve the problem.
    That was all they had for options. Then I was told that they would have to swap the box and wanted to charge me over $300. A fee for the hardware and a large fee for transferring my lifetime service.

Thanks to this Tivo community, the solution and fix was a simple reset of the box to erase all the data and start from scratch. Why didnt THEY tell me that.....let me guess.....they wanted to screw me for $349.00!!!!

This experience has so tarnished Tivo in my mind that I will not buy another product from them, they dont deserve my business anymore. How dare they not help me with the simple and available solution first.

Shame on you Tivo.:mad:

Thank you community:up:

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You are talking about a CSR. They rarely offer helpful advice in my experience with different devices. With most devices you typically get more help by going to a forum and finding your solution. Contacting a CSR with a problem form a device is typically one of the last things I do. Since problems can usually be solved by finding someone else that had the same issue and getting your solution from them.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    One of my favorite platitudes is, "Never attribute to malice that which may be adequately explained by stupidity."

TiVo isn't actively encouraging its CSRs to bilk the customer of money. They just hire idiots for CSRs. This would seem to be an unlikely statement if it were TiVo alone who hires idiots, but the fact is almost everyone hires idiots to be CSRs, and the few CSRs who are not idiots don't remain front line CSRs for long.

The other problem is that almost every company evaluates the performance of its CSRs based upon how many customers they handle. With this policy in place, the CSR is going to do everything in their power to force the fastest solution on the customer. Selling the customer a new box is just about as quick as a solution can get.

4. chiguy50

chiguy50 Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    +1

Also, you can't reasonably expect the CSR to be more invested in solving your problems that you are yourself. Based on your description of the transactions, you did not press for a "next step" solution. You should have explained that you have already unsuccessfully tried the suggested solution and, if the CSR had no more advice to suggest, asked to speak to a supervisor or level 2 tech for more advanced guidance. This is true in general when troubleshooting an issue, and is not necessarily a reflection on TiVo.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    +1 :up:
    Anyone who has much exposure to CRS's is aware that this is a general problem. To correct this the company would have to spend a lot more money on CSR compensation and training, especially since our culture (as represented by our educational system) puts insufficient value on STEM knowledge. The cost of good support must be included in the product price and the consumer culture is not willing to pay more for the product just to get better support.

7. quattro100

quattro100 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I need to correct an error of mine, I didnt speak with customer service rep but actually the Technical Service Department. Each time I called I made reference to the previous calls.

I firmly believe that it is still on them to resolve the issue and if 1 tech cant then they should push my issue up to the next level until all options are explored. Having to find the answer on a forum means they failed and when they fail the company has essentially failed. :thumbsdown:

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Helping yourself is on you. It looks like you did that by coming here.

A department handling call is still a form of a CSR, and asking for a manager is also on you, the caller. That is the same experience i have with every CSR, no need to be shy to ask for a higher level.

I'm still not sure what you had going on, and I wonder if the root cause was in the outage Tivo was having.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    WhetherTechnical service or a CSR, I've typically had the same results with them over the years.

10. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I am confused... because they should have been willing to fix the box for much less than $300, right?

They shouldn't have had any additional fee to 'move' the lifetime. There just should have been a repair fee.

I am going to guess that they offered to sell you a new box at a discount instead of repairing the old one?

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Funny thing is, you'd probably have gotten a CURRENT box with far more capabilities.. Being able to get that for $300-ish, including lifetime.. You missed out on a deal!!

12. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Recently, I sold a Lifetime HD on eBay. I always check them out completely but this one had a slight problem, that got by me.

When the buyer received this one, it had a problem with an analog tuner. (No digital where he lives)
    The buyer called Tivo and they said that he would have to buy another HD AND pay $150 to transfer the LT! I was all set to send him another HD that I had, when he called me back with good news. Tivo decided to GIVE him another HD, and transfer the LT for FREE!

We don't understand how they switched gears so quickly. The buyer asked me if I had purchased the HD from Tivo directly and I told him no. The unit was one of those $99 Blockbuster ones with a $99 LT puchased about six months ago.

Anyway, the buyer got the refurbished HD from Tivo, with the LT. It worked great. I looked on my account and it shows the Tivo, with it's TSN, so I know that he didn't make it up.