1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup for Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bfwk122, Dec 5, 2013.

1. bfwk122

bfwk122 A Tivo owner from the beginning.

Jul 2, 2006
    New Jersey
    I am setting up the Roamio Pro in my living room and I am taking my HDXL and putting it in the bedroom. How should I handle putting the new one in line.. Should I have it running awhile and let it do updates or put the cable card into it and let it update? Also will I be able to access my HDXL programs that are recorded in the bedroom from the Roamio in the living room? Thank you very much in advance..Best regards...Bob...Also I have Verizon Fios..

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Go through Guided Setup before inserting the CableCARD. CableCARD issues are a lot easier to deal with when you're out of Guided Setup.

You will be able to transfer shows between your Roamio and HDXL as long as they are not protected. Although personally I think you should consider selling the HDXL and getting a Mini for the bedroom instead. The streaming experience is a lot more pleasant then transferring, and it'll save you the cost of the CableCARD in the HDXL. Plus it can stream anything, even protected shows, so you don't have to worry about your cable company protecting something and screwing you up.

3. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Except you will lose any protected shows that are on the HDXL. I would love to replace my Premiere Elite and Premiere 2 tuner box with a Roamio pro and a mini but my wife has many cable shows saved on the Elite that are copy protected that she will lose if I replace it.

4. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    What channels other than HBO are copy-protected?

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It depends on the cable provider and location. Some providers lock down everything but locals and others only lock down premiums like HBO.

6. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I am on Time Warner. For me every channel is copy protected except the local OTA stations.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Only if it is abandoned.

Leave the Elite hooked up to the TV until you watch all the shows.
    Might not be convenient, but you won't lose the shows.

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Comcast was like that in CT in 2008, I got an VP on the phone and told him other than the HBOs channels, unless Comcast had instructions to block, the rest could be open, within 2 weeks all were open (except HBO etc)

9. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    In my area of southern calfornia on verizon fios HBO,and cinemax are are copy protected,I think epix ,movie channel,showtime and starz are fine though.