1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up recordings online...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by samsgood, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1 of 15
    samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    How much time do you need in advance if you want to set a show to record online and have the TIVO actually do it? Obviously, programming something 30 minutes before it starts is a bad move but does anyone know what the minimum time you can wait is so that the TIVO actually gets the request and does it?

2. Aug 4, 2012 #2 of 15
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Here is what TiVo recommends:

I just scheduled a program with only 20 minutes of lead time as an experiment. We'll see if it records.

Edit: Didn't record. I guess it's best if you follow TiVo's advice.

3. Aug 4, 2012 #3 of 15
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    normally is takes 10-20 min for me

4. Aug 4, 2012 #4 of 15
    scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I Have had Comcast and directv DVR`s and its Instantaneous..

I would happen to think this is one area tivo needs to UPDATE ..

we all want instant confirmation...

and stop all of the emails...

5. Aug 4, 2012 #5 of 15
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    what emails?

6. Aug 4, 2012 #6 of 15
    scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I first get an email.. confirming the request..

We have received your request to record "xxxxx." on Channel 480 for Tue 7/31 at 11:00 PM.

Priority: Only record if nothing else conflicts
    Quality: Use the default on the DVR
    Keep Until: Space needed
    Start Recording: On Time
    Stop Recording: On Time

then I get...

Your online request for "xxxxxxx" has been received.

This program is now scheduled to record and appears in the To Do List.

=====================================================

then I get 1 on my TIVO Message in box..

so that is 3... all together..

I think a bit too much

7. Aug 4, 2012 #7 of 15
    steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I take this back. I just now looked through my NPL and noticed the show I scheduled online, however the recording was started 20 minutes late.
    So it took 35 - 40 minutes for my online request to reach my Tivo.

You are saying that you can schedule a show online 10 minutes before it starts and your Tivo will get the request on time and record the show in its entirety?

(I suppose it's possible if you just happen to hit the sweet spot in the timing between when the TiVo servers get updated with the request and when your Tivo checks in to the mother ship.)

8. Aug 4, 2012 #8 of 15
    awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    If you're using "Record with Options", just delete your email address from the "Send confirmation?" box. If you're using "1-Click Record", go into "1-Click Options" beforehand--you'll find it in the menu on the left-hand side--and remove your email address.

9. Aug 4, 2012 #9 of 15
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yeh i was going to say, there is a spot to not get the emails.

And yeh maybe i did hit the sweetspot but normally it is about 20 min from online. From the Tivo App it is right away

10. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    I don't have any insider knowledge about the software running the TiVo, and I am not a networking expert (though I am a computer scientist), so the best I can do is make an educated guess--a SWAG, if you will--about why that is.

The TiVo app, which only works like that when it's on the same network as your TiVo (that is, the app is using the WiFi on the same network that the TiVo is connected to, whether by WiFi or Ethernet), can send "messages" to your TiVo directly, at virtually any time.

The online application has to wait for the TiVo to "poll" it. Theoretically, the TiVo could do it more often, but that could slow the TiVo itself, your network, or both, and with millions of TiVos doing so, probably the servers hosting the online application (which is hardly a speed demon as it is). Meanwhile, the online application could also theoretically "message" your TiVo, but that would almost certainly become a configuration nightmare, as most users would have to fiddle with their firewalls in order to allow that. I don't blame TiVo at all for not wanting to go through that customer service nightmare.

11. Larry in TN

Larry in TN New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I thought I remembered hearing that a network-connected TiVo checks in every 15 minutes.

12. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I dont think it calls out for this since that is only once a day. I believe a signal is sent to tell the Tivo to record something, or a change has occured..

I have edited my Season passes online and 5 min later the Tivos are updated

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The "daily call" serves an entirely different purpose. A broadband connected Tivo connects to the mothership about 10 times an hour checking for any online record requests.
    Nope, Tivos initiate all contact.

14. rajmhar

rajmhar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    if it only takes 10-20 minutes or so for the recording to start after setting it up from remote via the smart phone app or via the world wide web, then why does the tivo website say it can take up to 24 hours? Do you guys also get this warning when you set up recordings from the tivo website?

15. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think that's just TiVo covering their a$$es. Notice the "can take up to" before the "24 hours".