1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a P4 killed my P3

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by igirl, Dec 6, 2012.

1. igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I am trying to get a Premiere 4 going - paid the Lifetime fee and it's in process - however when I went through the setup on it - I didn't realize it was using the exact same remote controller ID as my 2 channel Premiere right below it.

Now my old Premiere won't receive cable any more!!!!!! :(

The only thing I can think is that something I did, blew up the cablecard settings for it.

I did have a cablecard from another Tivo in the house I was seeing if I could get working on the P4.... :eek:

I went through the guided setup again on the old Premiere, but still dead cable. hmmm Good news I have had already scheduled the cable guy to come and get the P4 cablecard setup. Now looks like he'll have to do them both!

Any way I can get the remotes to not conflict with each other?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
  3. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks - that did the trick! Of course it doesn't fix the skewed cablecards - but tomorrow hopefully we'll be OK.

4. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Well interestingly for some reason late this morning - just before the cable guy arrived (of course) the signal came back!

Meanwhile - the P4 also came up with service - and I was able to go in and copy the Season Passes from the old Tivo to the new one!

HOWEVER - we cannot access the to do list or my shows - on either box right now from the website.

Wonder if this too will cure itself given time?

5. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    It will take a connection or two before the website gets the info from the DVR.

6. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Now I'm having issues with this - the procedure to set the different IR channels on each individual controller/tivo box combo goes great - until they are both exposed.

The next click - no matter which controller - changes the box it's NOT supposed to work with - back to that controller's channel. It's maddening. I'll have to play with it a lot more - but I know I'm doing it exactly right as per the instructions - it works fine on the last one set - as long as I don't touch the second controller with both boxes exposed.

I'm using aluminum foil to ensure blocking the IR - and cross testing it to make sure it's not receiving during the setup process. hmmmm

7. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Points to consider.
    • A remote set to the default code '0' controls all TiVo's.
    • A TiVo set to '0' will be controlled by all remotes.
    • Leaving a TiVo on the "System Information" screen will be re-programmed to any TiVo remote it sees.

8. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks - I'm aware of all those things... I had been using CH 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 in my attempts - always exiting back to the main menu. Strangely, I had it working fine then things got skewed for some reason. I did run Manual > Connect to the TiVo service several times yesterday because the website wasn't reflecting My To Do List - or My Shows - for either box. Maybe that messed them up?

Anyway after a few more tries I got it to stick gain - let's hope it holds this time! :rolleyes: