1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting for Season Pass defaults?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by wco81, Sep 20, 2013.

1. wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Is there a way to set the defaults for SP settings?

2. rgranber

rgranber New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Mineral...
    Wish there was. My only major complaint about the TIVO. Lots of extra button pushes to change the "New and Repeats" default to what most people want, "New only".

3. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Agreed.

4. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Yepp, one thing I love about Dish DVR's.

5. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    and directv. it's a hassle to adjust the sp settings every time i set an sp, my biggest headache switching to tivo.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Every single SP I setup I have to change to New Only and KAM to All. I'd love to have a screen where you could set the default so I didn't have to do that.

7. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Yepp. On the Dish DVR's you can go in and set "recording defaults". I have my Hopper set to "New", blah, blah, and run over 2 mins at end. With TiVo you have to do that every freaking season pass...

8. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Napa, CA
    I think TiVo does this because the guide data can and will be wrong from time to time. I take the time to set it to New only but have a hand full of shows that record the reruns anyway. It’s only happened a few times the other way over the years but it’s a pain when it says it had the same episode recorded in the last 30 days but it was a first run.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I set most shows to new and reruns. That way if there is an issue, it can pick up another airing or for shows that are previously run in other countries, those show up as reruns here anyway.

10. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    I personal think thats an excuse, or poor judgement on their part. The Hopper never misses anything programmed the other way, neither did my Directv DVR.

I like Tivo, but they could learn a few things...

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Generally, the only issue is if there is no episode info but in that case it considers it new always (if there is no original air date). So it is rarely safer to record repeats.

12. wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Don't they all get the guide data from the same source?

I read an article about DVRs in Europe getting guide data in real time so live events are recorded correctly.

To top it off they don't pay use fees anything like the ones we pay.

13. rgranber

rgranber New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Mineral...
    On a related subject..While Menuing down to Set Season Pass, then Options, I sometimes get the regular record options menu instead of the Season Pass Option menu. Anyone else have this happen?

14. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    You can have and use default SP settings (1-Click Record options) when scheduling online.

However, I agree with you all that having this option when scheduling from the TiVo box would be nice.

15. wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    If they let you set defaults in the iPad app, that would be great.

But I guess the app. just connects to the Tivo so it has the same limitations?

It would be nice if it passed some XML that it could create on the fly with the exact values or settings.

16. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    I dont think so, Im pretty sure Directv and Dish use a different service for their guides.

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    FYI, SP creation via kmttg remembers the last settings you used to create a SP.

18. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The weird thing is TiVo used to have it in the Series 1 and Series 2 and took it out iirc.

Of course since I use KMTTG, I rarely schedule from the TiVo these days.

19. dmaneyapanda

dmaneyapanda Member

Jan 16, 2000
    princeton,nj
    This is my #1 annoyance as well.

S1 and S2 TiVos had a default setting (imo) because space management was so much more important on those early units, and the Low/Med/High Quality settings were a vital component for managing your space.

Still, the need to change to New only and Keep All for every SP is one of the few real jawdropping issues in the typical user workflow. Thankfully it's only a big issue a few times a year.

20. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    If you create season passes from the web can you set the defaults there?

There is a button for 1-Click Options. Does it work?