1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seth Meyers to replace Fallon on Late Night

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Michael S, May 12, 2013.

1. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
  2. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Will have to set up SP. Always enjoy Seth Myers.

3. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Guess he's as good a pick as any. I'll watch a few.

Still there is a weird age issue with these two shows now. I'm used to it being the old timer in the early time slot and the edgy funny guy coming up after.

Are both shows going to be in NY?

4. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Should be interesting.

I heard they were not having Fallon move, but I can see how that might be an issue with guests, etc.

5. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Yes. And Lorne Michaels is assuming exec producer of the Tonight Show.

6. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm glad he's moving on from SNL. I'm getting really bored with his schtick on Weekend Update there.

7. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    In fact, the New York Times article about this mentions that they're going to both be in studios inside 30 Rock, which I think is going to make them seem a bit too similar to each other.

You'd think they would try to get a "street-level" situation for "The Tonight Show," as David Letterman has for "Late Show" -- I read somewhere that the theater that was the original home of "The Tonight Show," back in the Steve Allen days, is available -- but NBC is apparently not going with that option.

8. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Would have rather seen Joel McHale do it but him getting Community picked up probably hurt that.

Well I just hope that Colbert replaces Letterman.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'll check out Seth when he makes the switch. I've enjoyed him on WU. It will be interesting to see if they change the format from the traditional monologue, sketch, guest, guest, music. Seems like I saw somewhere that they're going to do something more like The Daily Show and make it cheaper to produce.

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd think that having both shows being in New York is really going squeeze out Letterman on the guest front.

11. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Nope. There's an unwritten rule that the 12:30 show won't have the same guest in the same week as the 11:30 show. So Fallon/Meyers won't have the same guests, freeing the guest up for Letterman/Stewart/Colbert.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    But having Letterman and Fallon both competing for 11:35 guests will make it that much tougher for each of them to get guests. And it will make it that much easier for Kimmel and Conan to book guests in LA. I won't be surprised if this move actually boosts Kimmel into the undisputed #1 spot, when it's designed to do just the opposite.