1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set all recordings to keep until I delete by default & how to show timeline?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by docprego, Feb 10, 2014.

1. docprego

docprego Member

Jan 6, 2014
    1. Is there a way to make all recordings "keep until I delete" by default instead of "When space needed"?

2. Is there a way to make the timeline appear while watching a recording besides pausing the recording?

2. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...

2. Press the Play key on the remote.
    You can then dismiss the timeline by pressing the Play key again.

3. moose53

moose53 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    https://tivo.com/tivo-tco/save1clickoptions.do

You can change:

* Change my 1-Click episode Recording options.
    * Change my 1-Click Season Pass Recording options.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Words of advice: use KUID sparingly, especially with season passes.
    Overuse of KUID will cause scheduling problems due to the TiVo thinking it is full when it really isn't. With the season pass set to KUID, the TiVo will reserve space for all future recordings that are listed in the lineup which could affect pending recordings that are not set to KUID.

Having said that, now that we can put larger hard drives (>2TB) in our TiVos, this is less of a problem.

5. docprego

docprego Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Thank you. I have both of these already set to "Keep until I delete" and yet "Until space needed" is the default setting whenever I record something.

6. docprego

docprego Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Thank you very much, this is such a help!

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would heed steve's warnings. Why do you think you need KUID on everything? Initially it would not be an issue, but as things fill up...

Depending upon your model, a hard drive upgrade may be better suited.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As things fill up, the TiVo permanently deletes stuff without warning, while leaving everything in the recently deleted folder intact, and it usually permadeletes the thing you happened to notice and hit record on a night or two earlier that you haven't gotten around to changing the recording options on yet because you've been busy with the stuff that lets you afford a TiVo in the first place, while also not deleting something you've left on there so long you forgot about it and it's at the bottom of the NPL where you never see it.

I figure the point of having options on the TiVo is to let me do things the way I want to (within certain limits), and I should be able to make KUID the default anytime I hit the record button just the record quality is.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is that link for newer than S3 platform units only?

Because it wants me to log into my TiVo account, which seems like I wouldn't need to do just to read about some SPS code or something.

10. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Of course you should be able to use your tivo the way you want to.

My warning is that, as Steve noted, the reservation systems can cause the box to stop recording new shows, even if space is otherwise available. The OP appeared new to Tivo, considering the question and their start date here, and perhaps did not understand how easy it is to upgrade the drive.

11. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Is this new with the Roamio? On my S3s, it always grabs the recently deleted first before deleting any old recording. At least that has been my observation over the years.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Maybe it's just an S2 thing then.

13. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    No, it's a TiVo with a malfunctioning database. The recently deleted shows are always supposed to be deleted before anything else.

14. docprego

docprego Member

Jan 6, 2014
    I'm using a Roamio Pro so space is not an issue. I'm accustomed to keeping all my shows indefinitely as this is how I had my WMC PC set up. I'm surprised that I am having difficulty customizing the default behavior of he Roamio. Isn't that why I bought it in the first place; to have greater control over my viewing experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Actually, isn't it suggestions, THEN recently deleted, then your 'active' recordings?

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Since most people (assuming, of course) don't use KUID, I think TiVo intentionally made it difficult to set KUID as a default because of the problems it can cause. Their way of asking "Do you really want to do this?" before the command is executed.

P.S. There is an option in your iPhone forum app where you can turn off that annoying signature I have bolded above.
    Please use it. Many forum members here would appreciate it. :up:
    Thanks.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If I used KUID delete on everything then I would not have been able to have all the recordings on my TiVos because it would be full. I have programs from years ago because I don't use KUID. My drives are typically around 80% to 90% full. With KUID they would be 100% full and I would need to constantly delete things manually so new things would be recorded. I'd rather have the TiVo manage things automatically which doesn't really happen when KUID is used for everything.

18. nyjklein

nyjklein J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets TCF Club

Aug 8, 2002
    North...
    I've had TiVos for over a decade. Series 2s, Series 3s, Series 4 Premieres and Roamios. I've never ever had any TiVo spontaneously delete any recording I've made before it first deleted anything in my Recently Deleted folder and then it cleared out suggestions. And even when those are empty it alway starts deleting the oldest recordings I've made. It NEVER just randomly deletes recent recordings.

Jeff

P.S. and I only use KUID sparingly and never for a season pass.

19. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    My only use for KUID is to move a show out of suggestions and into My Shows. If there were another way to do that, I would.

20. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    There is. You can just set the keep until date instead. Even if it is in the past, it will treat it like a program you recorded. No need to KUID.

Overall, for better or worse KUID can be a blessing or a curse. Tivo decided that due to the odd behavior that occurs with it, they preferred it not to be default. For those who want everything to default to it, that stinks.