1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 Remote controls TV but not Roamio's

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rjgibson0066, Mar 19, 2014.

1. rjgibson0066

rjgibson0066 New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    My Series 3 died so just purchased a new Roamio. I can not get the Roamio remote to operate my JVC TV - tried all five codes and cycled/scanned through all the rest.

Odd thing is my Series 3 remote worked fine, and still does, and thankfully operates the Roamio just fine. In looking at the two remotes, the only differences I see is the A, B, C and D buttons, Back and Zoom, which at this point I don't know what they do.

Any ideas on how I can get the Roamio remote to work with this JVC TV? Does the Series 3 remote provide any clues on what the code may be?
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    Zoom brings you back from the Tivo menus to either the recorded show or Live TV, whichever is showing up in the corner.
    Back goes to previous menu screen, same as the left arrow.
    A, B, C, D are menu specific options.

The Roamio remote uses the same codes as the older Tivo model's remote.
    Hold Tivo + TV buttons until remote light is on and then press the 4 digit code.
  3. JoJetSki

JoJetSki New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Just a guess...the Roamio remote is capable of IR and RF, and your TV probably on does IR. You might want to try and figure out if it is sending the signals over IR.
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    It is RF only between the remote and the Tivo Roamio. It will still send IR to the TV.
  5. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Unless you set the remote to IR only mode (press & hold the TiVo and "C" button for a few seconds). TiVo+D puts it back in RF mode. The Roamio will always respond to either IR or RF.