1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 Purchase-OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lejman, Nov 25, 2013.

1. lejman

lejman New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I know the Series 3 is old, but is it worth buying still for OTA use. I am getting it for $240 this insides a lifetime subscription. Thanks!

2. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Real good OTA tuner. Very good, dependable unit after power supply capacitor fix, should last a long time with periodic hard drive replacements. Not a terrible price at this instant but the trend is dropping rapidly.

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I think I saw that the price had come down to $200 on eBay lately for the same lifetime Tivo.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    No one has asked which Series Three model (648, 652 or 658). Or don't the answers depend on the specific model at all? AFAIK, the oldest model (648, OLED S3) has about 10% greater TTG transfer speeds and perhaps very slightly better OTA tuner sensitivity -- however all those models have good OTA tuners. However the 648 models will be 1 to 3 years older than the other two, so you have to make your own judgement about how much that matters. The comments about power supply issues etc., apply equally to all models. Judging by posts on this forum, power supply and HDD failures comprise 99% of all the failures. Both failures can be handled at reasonable cost if you are at all DIY minded --- help is available on this forum. If you are shrink wrap-minded, either failure could cost you about the same as you paid for the unit on eBay.

Strong recommendation: Do not buy a system that uses an expander drive. Just asking for reliability problems there.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I have a lifetimed Series 3 HD (TCD652160) whose 2 OTA tuners work just fine, as does one but not both of the cable tuners, which I'll sell you for less than that.

6. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    OK, How much?