1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

series 3 no longer sees HME applications

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jbernardis, Nov 29, 2013.

  1. steve614

    steve614 what ru lookin at?

    10,722
    0
    May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    :rolleyes: What does the OP have to lose? Oh wait. More time and trouble trying to troubleshoot network problems that probably don't exist.

    Whatever. I'll shut up now. I couldn't care less if the OP checks his power supply or not. No skin off my back....
     
  2. jbernardis

    jbernardis New Member

    1,072
    0
    Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    The current status of all of this is that it is now working. About a week ago, I changed to a static IP address, but it had no apparent effect. So earlier today, I had planned to change my network topology a bit by adding a switch between the wireless access point/router, and then moving the TiVo to that switch - so it was no longer going through the WAP. Before I did so, I took one last look at the system and my apps were in the menu!!!

    I can't explain it. My only thought is that I didn't give the static IP change enough time to propagate through the network. I'll be keeping a closer eye on it in case it recurs, but for now I am happy.
     
  3. unitron

    unitron Active Member

    16,389
    2
    Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm pleased that your problem appears to be resolved.
     
  4. jbernardis

    jbernardis New Member

    1,072
    0
    Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Actually there is more to report in this saga.

    Soon after I noticed the applications were back after the static IP address change, they were gone again. In a way I was relieved because I couldn't explain how a dynamic address would have caused this problem.

    Shortly thereafter, the tivo started behaving oddly in other ways, so I thought perhaps there was something to this power supply issue. I opened up the case and found some bulging capacitors, so I put together an order to Digikey for a complete capacitor set for both of my Tivos (about $20 total) and a few days later when I got them, I replaced the capacitors, but still the applications were missing.

    So next I tried my original thought - the one it turns out I should have tried first. My main network is cat6 cabling throughout the house with the hub in the basement where I have my cable modem and router. There is also a network switch in the same location because of the number of runs I have. One of those runs goes to my tv/stereo cabinet where it is terminated in my wireless access point. The wireless access point also includes an internal gigabit switch, and this is where I have my tivo, blu-ray, and AV receiver connected.

    I noticed that for some reason, the wireless access point was indicating that it had a gigabit connection to the tivo. I'm not sure why, because the tivo is of course only a 100Mbit device, and the cable was cat5, but everything seemed to work until now.

    What I did was to move all of the wires out of the WAP and into a gigabit switch, and then home the WAP itself to this new switch - basically taking the switch within the WAP out of the picture. The tivo immediately came up as a 100mbit device, and all of the apps re-appeared and are still there several days later.

    I'm guessing that the switch portion of the WAP has failed. I'm glad to be once again using the apps I developed.
     

Share This Page