1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 HDD Contents to Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by TripFoeYa, May 22, 2012.

1. TripFoeYa

TripFoeYa New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I currently have a original Series 3 box w/ Lifetime upgraded to a 1TB HDD and I'm looking to replace it with a refurb Premiere box upgraded to a 2TB drive. While I'm upgrading the Premiere drive can I use jmfs Live to copy the contents of the Series 3 drive to the new drive and then supersize it? Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, the recordings are encoded to a spefic Tivo, but you can till treansfer them as long as both still have a subscription.

3. TripFoeYa

TripFoeYa New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I figured that. So I can transfer the recordings through MRV. Now is it possible to hook the TiVo's up directly to speed that process up?

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    IIRC, you can use an ethernet patch cord to connect the Tivos together.
    You would have to put the Premiere into SDUI mode because the HDUI mode depends on having a connection to the internet.
    However, doing transfers this way WILL NOT speed things up. The speed will be limited by the S3's maximum transfer rate.

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If you hook the TiVos together directly (with no router), would you have to assign static IP addresses? Nobody would be doing DHCP, right?

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    If time isn't that critical I would use TiVo Desktop and your computer as an intermediary. Direct MRV transfers throw away most of the metadata except the show name and description.

7. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    TiVo needs to fix that, of course. It's ridiculous to throw away any metadata ever (or any other kind of data). Some programmer should hang his head in shame.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I believe that you have to make sure each Tivo has assigned itself an IP address, but other than that, I think Tivos are able to detect when they are directly connected and automatically configure themselves to negotiate with each other.

I could be remembering wrong though. Be easy to test if I had an ethernet coupler. :)

9. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    That's what Auto-IP is for (the 169.254.x.x addresses you see). Of course, not sure if TiVo does it, but the series 3 should be "new" enough that Auto-IP is pretty standard on most devices.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You need both connected to a router so they can get listings off of the internet, right?

Just let the router handle it.