1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 HD 648250B Troubleshooting Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by weskatepoppa, Apr 21, 2013.

1. weskatepoppa

weskatepoppa New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi all, looking for some help with my series 3 OLED display HD Tivo please.

Yesterday after a power outage my Tivo would not restart after power came back on. Stock on the powering up screen.

After searching the forums and checking several items I have found the following:

1) I could not get the hard start trick to do anything, screen stays the same
    2) The unit is making a clicking noise with a sequence of 6 clicks then 2 clicks several times until all seems to stop
    3) I do have a bulged top on capacitor board location #C701

From what I have read so far the bulged capacitor definitely needs to be repaired but am concerned about the hard drive as well due to the clicking noises which seem to me to be from the hard drive trying to start.

Looking for advice/suggestions on what is the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    The bad cap can very well be preventing the hard drive from operating properly. I suggest that you repair/replace the power supply and see if the drive will come on line w/o the clicking.

If it still wont work you could try pulling the drive, put it in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for at least a half hour. Then, try to copy the drive to a new drive and hope that it transfers properly. If not, its time to start from scratch with a new image.

3. Kevin D42

Kevin D42 Member

Nov 7, 2009
    If you don't want to do the cap repair due to concern over the HD being fried, put the HD in a PC and run some non-destructive tests.

4. weskatepoppa

weskatepoppa New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. Any help on the procedure to do a drive test.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I suggest you download and burn yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It has hard drive tests from each of the major manufacturers (among other things).

Basically, once you burn the boot CD, configure your PC BIOS so that it will boot from the CD/DVD drive then shut it down.
    Connect the Tivo hard drive to the PC. I *think* a USB adapter will work, but a direct SATA connection will be faster.
    Disconnect any hard drive that you don't need to test (not really necessary, I just do that as a rule to avoid mishap).
    Boot the PC using the Ultimate Boot CD and find the diagnostic software (most likely Western Digital). Perform the short test first. If it passes that, then run the extended test.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The power supply itself and not the hard drive may be making the clicking sound, so don't get too carried away doing stuff with the hard drive yet.

7. weskatepoppa

weskatepoppa New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for your responses. I have found a used working unit on craigslist at a very reasonable price and plan to swap out the board first for troubleshooting. Will update results after I pick it up later in week.

8. weskatepoppa

weskatepoppa New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Swapped in the new power supply and still got the clicking noise sequence from the hard drive.

Swapped in the new hard drive and now all is well.

Guess I had a bad hard drive for sure and a power supply that was failing due to the bad capacitor.

9. imcordless

imcordless New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    goo idea swapping parts from another tivo