1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by buscuitboy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have a Series 3 (OLED) that needs a new hard drive. This unit will be used in a basement rec room and not heavily used. Therefore, I just want to get an inexpensive replacement. Another 250GB drive would be fine with me. I also have a Series 3 image. I have used it for another Series 3 I have (along with WinMFS) to restore it to working condition. It worked great so I can prepare this one myself as well.

Trying to find a CURRENT list of good replacement drives to pick from. My initial research seems to indicate that I should go with a Western Digital 3.0Gb/s SATA "Blue" Caviar brand/model. Does this sound about right? I realize its probably gonna be hard to find a NEW 250GB SATA drive as this size is probably not really made anymore so can go with something larger if needed (320GB or 500GB) & the price is right. Been looking at Newegg.com, Amazon and TigerDirect. I'm wondering if this about the best I'm gonna be able to do:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Cache-Desktop/dp/B00461G3MS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360592130&sr=8-1&keywords=western+digital+SATA+3.5+3.0

Again, I'm not looking to spend a lot, but also wanted to find a CURRENT list of good hard drive replacement brands (if available).

2. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I know you're shopping based on price, but you can get a 500 GB Western Digital drive designed for DVR use for about seven more bucks: WD5000AVDS.

3. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    looks good to me and that will work. Looks like it might be the best way to go anyway & more suited for a TiVO application. Thanks

4. Thos19

Thos19 Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Rockland, MA
    Biscuitboy,

If you haven't bought a replacement drive for your Series 3OLED, I have the original 250GB drive from my Series 3 OLED (I sold the unit recently with a 1TB upgrade drive).

If you're interested, I'm sure we could come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. ;)

Thos.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You should have grabbed a WD20EURS when they were $100 last week.

Now they're $108

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042AG9V8

Best GB/$ ratio, made specifically for AV use, 3 year warranty, and apparently if you're running 11.0k you can use WinMFS to expand into all of the drive.

6. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    Actually, it was Newegg that dropped their price to $100 last week, and it should still be good for another few hours (I think until 11:59PST on 2/13/2013). You even started the thread, Unitron: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=500679

I've checked Amazon several times since your initial post, and it seems like they never bothered to match the price (perhaps because their pricing engine couldn't properly reconcile the required promo code?).

7. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I actually JUST got an older DELL desktop from a family friend. While I have reformatted it & reinstalled XP, its not gonna be a heavily used PC and is now simply in the same basement area. However, I just realized and wonder if I could pull its hard drive and put it in this Series 3 TiVo.

I went to XP's disk management area and checked out the properties of this drive. It looks like its a 500GB Samsung HD501LJ SATA 3.0 hard drive. Would this brand/model work in the Series 3 OLED unit? Or is not really suited for DVR applications and most likely will burn up over time?

Here is a link to its description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

That's from back when Samsungs were Samsungs, before Seagate got hold of them.

If I could get my choice of hard drives for free I'd put a slower spinning cooler running drive in that S3, but I'm running a similar 1TB, an HD103SJ, in an S2 without problem, so I wouldn't hesitate to use that one of yours in the S3.

Just put the unit where it gets plenty of air, maybe add rubber feet to give it more intake area underneath.