1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 Digital Audio Problems - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HotDog1999, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HotDog1999

HotDog1999 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    OK I need to reach out to the TIVO community. I have a Series 3 Tivo which I am so excited about - however I am encountering issues with the digital audio. When the unit is plugged in the analog channels are fine - when you get into the digital channels they are digitized (garbled). So here is the breakdown:

My TV is working fine - had a cable box prior and had digital channels.
    TIVO is working fine (had it working on another of my TV's).
    I replaced cables with brand new - just to be sure.
    Plugged TIVO unit into wall to make sure Unit was grounded well.

I brought a small TV to test all the connections with (so I didn't have to climb behind my big TV all the time) when I connected it to the small TV it had the same audio symptoms until I changed the Dolby Digital - PCM option to just "Dolby Digital" and it then worked on my small TV! So I unplugged the HDMI from the small TV (knowing it was working) and connected it to the large TV and still had the garbled audio.

I have used all types of cables to connect and HDMI seems to be the best. TIVO wants me to replace it at a cost of $350 - tough to do when I have seen it work! I am thinking it is a cable card issue but would appreciate any experience and feedback someone can provide - this is so frustrating!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    It might be an incompatibility between the TiVo and your large TV. Have you tried component connections (coax cables with RCA plugs on ends) instead of HDMI? If this is the problem a replacement TiVo won't help, although I'm guessing the replacement will be a newer model TiVo (e.g., Premiere), which might not have the same incompatibility.

Also, have you explored all the audio setting options on the TV?

Might be good to provide your Tivo model number since there are several "Series 3" models, and more info about your TV.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Sounds like the big TV has a problem with that HDMI port, since HDMI seems to work just fine with the little TV.

And the S3 series uses a 2 wire AC cord, neither side of which is connected to the chassis, so it's not really grounded at the AC outlet/wall socket.