1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 component constant flicker

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Henwaydtv, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Henwaydtv

Henwaydtv New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    It's during the menus, during live, and during the playback, all set to Native. My HDMI didn't flicker, but the HDMI stopped working a week ago--likely due to the weight/angle of the connector (I haven't trying getting in there to solder it).
    So I'm stuck with component until I fix it or buy an XL4 on sale today.

The unit also had started stuttering horribly and I replaced the HDD last week and it solved my pixelation problems.

Maybe put chokes on the component cables?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Check for bad cable or bad connection, especially the Green, which carries the video sync signals. Losing sync = losing video.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Before the power supply failed on my S3 OLED (bad capacitors), we were getting video artifacts (wavyness through the video) so you might want to check out the power supply.

Scott

4. NSX

NSX TiVo Hog

Aug 29, 2004
    Southern...
    The same thing happened to my S3 OLED. It was having the same artifacts using Component output but it was absolutely fine on HDMI. This lasted about 1.5 months... and then it finally started a reboot loop last week. I swapped out the power supply from my theater room and all is well. I checked my 3rd S3 OLED and it also had buldging capacitors so that will fail soon. :( :thumbsdown:

5. Dec 1, 2012 #5 of 10
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The capacitors are cheap and easy enough to replace if you can solder.

Scott

6. Dec 4, 2012 #6 of 10
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I'm kinda dumb here when it comes to electronics, but are the capacitors the same as the "power supply"? My original S3 is showing the same symptoms using component (horizontal lines/waves and a few system reboots), but, as stated above, my HDMI connection is just fine. If I have to replace something, will I have to solder it?

7. Dec 4, 2012 #7 of 10
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The capacitors are part of the power supply.

[​IMG]

Could your component cables be picking up interferance? You might try a new set of better quality cables.

Attached Files:

8. Dec 4, 2012 #8 of 10
    Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
  9. Dec 5, 2012 #9 of 10
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go read the Wikipedia page on "capacitor plague" to understand what the cause of the problem is.

10. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Danke