1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 and the MCard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by danjw1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. danjw1

danjw1 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Does the series 3 support using a single mcard with both tuners?

I am concerned because I am returning my tivo for a warranty replacement and they said they would send me a series 3 instead. I asked if the m-card would work properly, and the csr said yes. But, I was just checking the cable card faq thread and it says it doesn't. Do I need to have Tivo send me an HD so I don't have to pay a monthly few for a second cable card?

Thanks,

Dan

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The m-card will work on the S3, but only as a single tuner. Therefore you would need 2.

However, the S3 may be worth the extra cost for the added benefits (storage, remote, etc.).

3. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    I have an S3 running with 2 M-cards with no problems.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if it was me - I would ask for another TiVo HD

5. radtechy

radtechy Member

Aug 16, 2008
    i agree a TiVo HD with one M-Card so you reduce the chance of having the cards not communicating with each other

one card should elimate that problem

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I wouldn't accept a S3 for a warranty replacement for a TiVo HD. They are just trying to dump the remaining S3 stock they have most likely.

7. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    The cards do not communicate with each other, only back to the head-end of the cable system.

8. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Dan, I've checked and it's not our policy to replace a TiVo HD with a Series3 product. I believe the call agent was mistaken in what he told you. If you can send me a private message with your case number or contact info we can use that to look into this.

Thanks!
    Pony

9. HiKent

HiKent New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Pony,

Back to the real question: Is M-Card support in the S3 ever going to arrive? Have you forgotten, or is it technically impossible?

Here, TWC charges over $200/year for the second S-Card. I would have replaced my S3 long ago with an THD were it not for my lifetime service & the hope you might add support RealSoonNow. The Owner's Manual and the silkscreen on the back indicate it was planned, so maybe it's coming -- just like the Blue LED for network transfers didn't work -- and then one day it did...

Why not take a page from the Netflix playbook & lay it out. Something like "the chipset doesn't work reliably with SA M-Cards", or "we've been chasing down pixelation & didn't think M-Cards are that big of a deal", or "sorry you're screwed by TWC -- we can transfer lifetime to a THD if that would help", etc.

Thanks.

10. dig_duggler

dig_duggler losing enthusiasm

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    We're not going to get an answer, but ditto. My provider can't get my 2nd cc to work in my S3 (after it working for a year and a half) and I honestly don't think it's broken, but they are incompetent. Lifetime on it keeps me from going the Tivo HD route. I still hold out a tiny bit of hope, but bringing new (if you can call it that) features to a discontinued model seems extremely unlikely.

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    What! You mean they charge you over $17 per month for a second card in the same device? I hope that you have reported this to the FCC and your local Franchise Authority. I know that the FCC never set any rates for these cards but I would think that rate is excessive and violates the intent of cablecard support.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    In many cases, the 2nd card itself isn't that much. However, they will try to charge you with an outlet fee. So technically, they can get around the guidelines set by the FCC even if they are ripping you off.

13. HiKent

HiKent New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    That's right: $8/month additional outlet + $6.95 HD fee (per cablecard) + $3.10/month cablecard rental + 8.7% tax/franchise fee = Total: $19.62/mo or $235/year.

Of course, they aren't currently charging the HD fee (per cablecard). They canceled that last October when they removed *all HD* from cablecard because of SDV (even though only a few of the HD channels are actually SDV, but that's a different thread...)

14. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The page that used to state that they were examining single M-Card support for the S3 is no longer on TiVo's site. Add that to the fact that it's been almost 2 years since the S3 came out and that (new) S3's are no longer for sale and I think it's pretty clear that they've given up supporting a single M-Card in the S3.

15. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    As I explained in April, this is a risky development proposition. I will never say never, because there are very few absolutes (except death and taxes of course). But it's very, very unlikely.

From earlier this year:

16. HiKent

HiKent New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Sorry, I was travelling in April & missed that posting.

This is very disappointing news. As I say above, the charge here is over $200/year for the second cablecard. It's disappointing to have bought an $800 machine (plus lifetime xfer charge), and after 1 year have TWC move all HD to SDV, then the next year see the $200/year additional charge is for the lifetime of the unit. (Not to mention that TWC has marked almost all the channels CCI=02.) My original S1 was a constant joy I hated to retire. My S3 -- seems more like I was trapped...

I know it's not all TiVo's fault, but...

17. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I, for one, will certainly keep this in mind next time I decide whether to support TiVo as an early adopter. The S3 has clear printing on the back that certainly could have left one with the impression that full M-card support was coming. Oh well. I guess I'll wait until the second generation of the Tru2Way TiVo comes out in 2012...

18. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    Good grief, that's horrible! I feel for you. And you didn't even include the fee for the truck roll...

High cost is the main reason I haven't gotten any CableCARDs for my S3, but since TiVo continues to offer woefully inadequate support for clear QAM recording, I'm left with a questionable TiVo experience and certainly not anything I can recommend to my friends and family. For those of us who only want to record clear QAM channels, it's a rock and a hard place.

19. Tommy_D

Tommy_D New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Comcast installed one Mcard in my series 3. I asked for two to utilize dual tuner capability but was told that I only needed one. While the Comcast technician was in my home I tested the series 3 and the installer was right!! I am able to record two HD channels with only 1 Mcard.

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Hmmm....are you positive? From what I've read on these fora, no one has ever been able to record two HD channels with a single M card (and no card in the other slot) in the S3. Is yours is an actual, original S3 (the first HD TiVo released two years ago)? Not the TiVo HD or XL (which are also classified under the Series 3 "umbrella").