1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 Won't Get Picture From DTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jjd_87, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    After my Premiere was destroyed recently in an apartment fire :( I decided to pull out my lifetime Series 2 and hook it up at my parents house while we are staying there. This Tivo has been hooked up several times with this Suddenlink DTA setup but for some reason I decided to do a clear and delete everything. Now I can't get picture from the DTA to the Tivo. I can pull the coax cable out of the Tivo and get a picture but when I plug back into the Tivo I just get the regular Tivo interface with a back screen. I'm sure I'm missing a setting but I can't figure it out.

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'm guessing a DTA is one of those cheapo cable boxes the cable companies gave out to customers who formerly didn't need a cable box, right?

Did you go thru guided setup and tell the TiVo it was now working with a cable box? And how the cable box is feeding the picture into the TiVo (audio/video cables or coaxial by channel 3 or 4)?

Also, unless your parents have exactly the same channel lineup you had before, you'll have to tell the TiVo what your current cable service is, and your current zip code.

You're starting all over again, so you gotta do all the basics.

3. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Its the cheapo thing, No AV outputs so you have to use the coaxial cable Ch3/4 method. But for the life of me I can't find that setting. I did clear and delete everything (Wish I would have just left things the same and just reset the suggestions). Even the channel changing seems to work just no picture on the Tivo.

4. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Go back into the Cable Box setup and make sure Coax is set for the input and not S-Video or another setting.

If it is set for Coax, your Coax input on the TiVo may no longer be working.

You can verify what the setting is in the System Information Screen.

5. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Where is that setting? It does not come up when you run guided setup.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Durng guided setup, did you tell the TiVo that you were using a cable box? It should then ask how hos it is connected and what kind.

7. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Yes. It does not ask how it is hooked up though. It does ask for a brand, ect. I mean technically there is only one way this box can be hooked up (as I said no AV output on the dta box)

8. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
  9. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
  10. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I was replying to this message. I was a little slow on the submit and missed the replies above.

That would be caused by having the coax cables reversed.

Are you sure that the Cable is connected to the IN of the DTA and the out of the DTA is connected to the IN of the TiVo. Make sure that the TiVo out is set to a use different channel then the DTA if you are RF all the way.

Which model of Series2 TiVo do you have?

11. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    is it the same cable company? is the dta even needed?

12. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Well I have no clue what happened but apparently the 3rd time is the charm. I ran the guided setup again last night and everything worked as normal. The only thing I can think of was that maybe I had the Ch3/4 switch on 4 the night before but I don't ever remember changing it and it was on 3 yesterday when I double checked it. I'll blame the wife for asking me to just hook the DTA up so she could watch tv that night lol

13. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Also I know its off topic but does anyone know if TiVo has any policy on lifetime machines that were destroyed in fires? I had only had my Premier for about a year and even had the extended warranty from Tivo. Thankfully my S2 was at my parents house in a box.

14. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Your insurance should cover it.

15. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Yeah I know the insurance will cover it. I just wonder if Tivo would allow you a lifetime transfer in that situation.

16. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If not is part of the value of it agent should give you enough to get another lifetime. Couldn't be first time it's come up ask insurance agent.

17. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think I read on this forum that someone said their insurance would only cover the cost of the Tivo hardware and not the cost of the lifetime service.

18. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Wasn't that poster trying to get TiVo to replace the lifetime?

When a lightning bolt and the resulting fire took out a large chunk of my house the insurance company was fantastic. My agent and the estimators went out of their way to hammer it into my thick skull that they had to replace everything with equivalent quality products at today's prices.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Then perhaps you should tell us the name of that insurance company to reward them with good word of mouth.

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    State Farm. :up::up::up: