1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 with Lifetime???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DawnW, Sep 24, 2013.

1. DawnW

DawnW Member

Nov 28, 2008
    NC
    I have two HD Series 3 Tivos now with lifetime.

We have a 3rd TV off the kitchen that my youngest child likes watching. It is an HD TV, hooked up to an antenna and does have a Roku box for Netflix and such.

Anyway, my son loves the Tivos we have on our other TVs and would like one on that TV.

I really don't want to invest another several hundred in an HD Tivo, and a woman on our local moms' group is selling a Series 2 with lifetime.

Is this even worth it? Would it work for the TV (I know I won't get HD through it, but will it even work???) It would be hooked up to an antenna, we do not have cable. Would it need a converter box too?

IF it works, how much is a reasonable price for it?

2. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If it's a single tuner model will work with a digital to analog converter, if a dual tuner will but work is involved.

3. DawnW

DawnW Member

Nov 28, 2008
    NC
    Sorry, I am not really following this.

Are you saying I need a digital converter box hooked up?

Dawn

4. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. DawnW

DawnW Member

Nov 28, 2008
    NC
    Ok, thanks.

6. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    One of the best is the Channel Master if you don't want to pay what it costs the Zenith/Insignia is very good too.

7. DawnW

DawnW Member

Nov 28, 2008
    NC
    Thanks.

I am thinking this may not even be worth my bother.

By the time I buy the Tivo and a converter and then not even be able to get HD. I should just invest in an HD Tivo if I want another one.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

What's the model number of that S2 and how much is she asking?

And of course you should run its TiVo Service Number by TiVo to confirm the lifetime sub regardless of what the system info screen says the account status is.

Or you could move one of your HDs to that set and have an excuse to buy a Premiere or Roamio if you've been leaning in that direction.

9. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah series 3 lifetimes have gone down considerably (I assume because of roamio) you can get a Zenith/Insignia on ebay for $25 or so, I wouldn't pay more than $60 for a single tuner series 2.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Nitpicked that for you.

:D

11. DawnW

DawnW Member

Nov 28, 2008
    NC
    Price not fully determined, but I think around $60.

Honestly, I don't know what model. I didn't ask!

Yeah, buying a new Tivo would be nice. It is just the cost factor!