1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 with DTA - TiVo scrambling video

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rmcurtis, Jul 24, 2013.

1. rmcurtis

rmcurtis Member

May 26, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have an old Series 2 (AT&TiVo) that is now connected to a DTA. I set up the DTA over 6 months ago, and everything has been working fine.

But today, after maybe a week of not watching this TV, I turn it on and find that all of the video looks scrambled. This is on every channel. The TiVo menus look fine, only the channel video is scrambled. I assumed a problem with the DTA and power-cycled it.

However, that didn't fix it, so I hit Standby on the TiVo, which enables RF passthrough so I can see the DTA output directly on the TV. Low and behold, the video looks just fine. All of the channels look good.

But when I go back to the TiVo, all the video is still scrambled. I restarted the TiVo, which didn't help at all. Then I re-ran Guided setup to repeat the cable box setup. That didn't help either, as all through Guided setup the video was scrambled still.

How can the TiVo be scrambling what appears to be a perfectly good video signal? Could it be a hardware failure? I wasn't able to find any similar reports on the forum.

Thanks for any help.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So by DTA you mean a cable box, right?

Does it only have RF output?

Is it set to 3 or 4?

Is it still set where you thought you had it?

Have you switched the output and the TiVo tuner to the other channel?

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    DTA's (digital transport adapter) only have rf out.

My first guess on reading the OP is that the channel 3-4 switch on the back of the DTA got moved to the wrong position.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "scrambled"? Maybe take a pic or two?

5. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Today I moved the switch on my DTA from 3 to 4 to see what happens - no scrambled video, just a black screen with a 'searching for signal' message.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you tune the TiVo to channel 4 as well?

7. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why would I?

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    With the DTA ser to channel 4, rerun guided setup and configure the TiVo to use channel 4.

9. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Apparently, some people can't follow a thread.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I saw that you re-ran guided setup. Did you do it with the DTA switched to the other channel? That was what I was suggesting.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You really really need to re-read the thread if you think I need help with anything.

12. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Try switching the DTA to the opposite channel its tuned to now, and rerun guided setup to tell the TIVO to tune to the new channel. Sounds like the tuner drifted off the frequency or something is interfering with it. The opposite channel might provide better results.

If that doesnt help, plug an old VCR into the Tivo, and play a tape. See if the Tivo can tune the video from the tape, or view the VCRs menus. If that works ok, then its something wrong with the DTAs video out. Its possible its off frequency enough that the Tivo cant tune it, but the newer tuner in the TV can.

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You are correct. My suggestion should have been to the OP. That's what I get for reading the thread on my phone. :eek: