1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 / Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ghuido, Jan 25, 2010.

1. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    Does anyone have a post or link to instructiosn on how to set up a Tuning Adapter on a Tivo S2DT? Thanks.

My Cable provider went all Digital (Comcast). Kept some basic analog channels (1-20) but now the Series 2 can't record any other digital channels. I think I have to get a Tuning Adapter for it according to comcast but i wanted to see if anyone know of any previous post on this. Tried to use the Search but couldn't get anything that explained the process.

Thanks for the help

2. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
  3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    If you want to record digital channels I believe you need a cable box (which a Digital Tuning Adapter is), not an SDV Tuning Adapter. SDV is only a problem with cable cards which the Series 2 does not use.

4. pdonoghu

pdonoghu New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    A DTA in Comcast speak is a Digital Transport Adapter, essentially a low end (cheap) cable box. Since most DTAs have only RF in/out, if you have a Series 2 DT, you need a cable box that has S-video or composite video and audio outputs because you need to connect the cable directly to the Tivo RF input to maintain any dual tuner capability. Even when Comcast goes digital, they typically leave the lower 20 or 30 channels in analog.