1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 to Premier slow transfer.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tbronson, Feb 13, 2013.

1. tbronson

tbronson New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I just purchased a Premiere, I previously had two Series 2. I could transfer a 30 minute show recorded on one S2 to the other S2 (recorded at 'High' setting) in about 15 minutes using wireless usb G adapters. Now when I try and transfer the same show from the S2 to the new Premiere it takes an hour! This is unacceptable, I can't even start a transfer and watch it right away. Any ideas? I have the Premiere hooked up to the wireless network using a wireless N bridge. My transfer rates are between 3 and 4Mb/s.
    Thanks in advance.
    Todd

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Series 2 is the source of the slow transfer. I can only get 2-3 Mbps on mine, compared to 6-8 Mbps with the Series 3 HD. A Premiere is over 3x faster than that.

3. tbronson

tbronson New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I don't understand why it transferred faster than real time between the two S2's but won't between the S2 and Premiere.

4. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Is it the same wireless router/access point? If not, maybe it needs tweaking.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I know this isn't what you're wanting to hear, but you should seriously consider getting another Premiere to replace that S2. With two Premiere boxes you can stream shows between them, no transfer required. As soon as you hit play you have full control over FF/RW with no need for buffering or anything. It's basically like playing the show remotely. Plus it works even for shows that are protected so there is no need to worry about shows that can't be transferred do to copyrights.

6. tbronson

tbronson New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    It is the same wireless access. Same G router. Same everything.
    @dan203. Any chance you can convince my wife of that?? That would be my first choice, but she might say otherwise.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you tried to reboot your Tivos AND the router? The best speed you can get is around 2-3 Mbps from the S2.

Wireless interference can also be an issue where the interference could have an effect on only 1 leg of your network. You can also try to change the wireless channel to one that is less used by surrounding WiFis.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just start recording everything on the Premiere unit in HD. The S2 unit wont be able to transfer any of those shows and when she tries you can say "see this is why we need another Premiere". :)

9. tbronson

tbronson New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Dan, you are a genius! I'll let you know in a week or so how that worked out. I'm still trying to tweak wireless setting.