1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 to HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by garcjny, Jul 29, 2012.

1. garcjny

garcjny New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    I've been a Tivo user since 2000. I have had my latest series 2 for five years. I want to get a HD version of the box. They now tell me I had a product lifetime warrenty on it and I must get a new lifetime warrenty for almost $400. I've had three boxes in my Tivo lifetime and never had a problem upgrading and no one ever mentioned a product lifetime subscription. I was under the impression that I brought a lifetime subscription in 2000.

Two questions: Is product support right that I have to get a new lifetime subscription? Is there any way to upgarde the series 2 to HD since it works fine?

I know they need to make money, but it stinks.

Oh well....

thanks

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not a "lifetime warranty"
    It's "lifetime Tivo service subscription" for THAT box, and it's not transferrable.
    There were the occasional transfer with fee, but it's been at least 5 years since they offered that.

With a new HD unit you would need to buy that new unit a lifetime subscription.
    ..and no, you can't "upgrade the S2" to do HD.

3. garcjny

garcjny New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Ok. thanks. I did not mean warranty, I meant I had "lifetime service" 12 years ago. There was no "product lifetime service" at that time. It was only "lifetime service." That's what stinks.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It was always service for the lifetime of the unit, not lifetime of the owner.

5. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Sell your lifetimed box on eBay and use that money to help pay for the HD box. But look into a discount for the lifetime for the new box first. You can buy a Premiere for $50 on craigslist. Then put lifetime on it.

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If it really was *over* 12 years ago (sometime in 2000, IIRC), then you have a ONE TIME transfer.. or it sounds like you already used that.

It was clarified to mean that it is only for that box.. That was always their intention (IMHO), it just wasn't completely clear at first.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So after you paid for what is now known as Product Lifetime Service back in 2000 (before January 20th, 2000?), have you had to make any monthly payments at all to TiVo? Have you only had one unit at the time?

8. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    If you are willing to go with a used box you can pick up an S3HD on eBay, with lifetime, for around $300. Then sell your S2. Keep in mind that any of the HD boxes will require a CableCard unless you are just connecting to OTA.