1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 TiVo with a Scientific Atlanta HD box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by keefer37, Jul 20, 2004.

1. keefer37

keefer37 New Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I'm really tempted to get my parents a TiVo with the $50 AR offer at TiVo.com, but wanted to confirm that it would work with their cable box.

They're using Time Warner cable and have a Scientific Atlanta HDTV cable box. Obviously, it can't record the HD channels, but wondering if it would be able to control it ok.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It should, so long as it is the SA 3250HD.

3. markandjenn

markandjenn New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    South Florida
    I can confirm that my Series 1 TiVo works with my SA3250HD. It also worked with my SA8000 (not HD), but one would assume that it would work with the SA8000HD as well, but everyone knows what happens when you assume...

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    You should be even more tempted to get your parents a DIRECTV/TiVo combo unit for $79 so they can get rid of that awful cableTV service.

5. keefer37

keefer37 New Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I've always wanted them to go back to DirecTV. They had DirecTV at their old place and had bad reception when the trees were full in the spring/summer. They've never gotten that bad taste out of their mouth.

6. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Sounds like the dish at the old place needed to be re-aligned or mounted in a different location. Get them a DIRECTV system for their new location. They'll luv you for it. They're no doubt paying way to much for the cabletv service they have now.

If they still don't want to switch to DIRECTV tell them they must be senile and that you'll put them in an old folks home.

7. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Though off subject-and ranting for no reason but--- Everybody I speak with tells me to go satellite.

I guess Im just a young fool they wont budge but I have tried dish at 3 locations and none have been acceptable.

People from this forum _no names mentioned_ just do not believe you can be happy with cable and not interested in sat. I guess its an on going debate (and well should be) but I have to say I have received over 150 post replies asking me to go satellite and then badgering me when I tell them its just not right for me.

Btw-- Tried satellite in Ipswich, MA- Haverhill, MA- Salem, MA
    Friends have had it and got rid of it in Lexington, MA- Arlington, MA- Newburyport, MA

Must have been the installer though right..lol!

8. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Really? I thought some had posted that the SA8000 or SA8000HD didn't work with TiVo. If it does work, does it use the standard SA IR codes?

I would appreciate it if you would double-check and post to the Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility & Codes List with a definitive answer on whether or not TiVo works with the SA8000.

Thanks!

9. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The SA8000HD doesn't output through both HD and SD outputs simultaneously. You've have to disable the HD output to use it with the Tivo.

Even in SD (480i) only mode, the SA8000HD doesn't output a 480i signal to s-video and composite in some versions of the software. It will always output these signals to component, though, so worst case, you buy some sort of 480i component -> s-video converter.

10. markandjenn

markandjenn New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    South Florida
    Charles,

I did indeed have the SA8000 and it did work. I returned it when the SA3250HD became available. I will, however, be returning the 3250HD for the 8000, as my TV does a bad job at decoding HD signals (it was a first generation HDTV-capable TV).

11. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    RI
    I would think that the problem with the SA8000 is if it ends up in a screen that can not be cleared by a simple channel screen. This is more likely to happen if you are using the box's DVR functions.

12. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Thanks for all the SA8000 info. I've added that info (with credits) to the compatibility list. I would still like to get the IR code if someone can figure it out.

Thanks again.

13. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Has anyone successfully used the IR Blasters with a SA 4200HD?

Has anyone tried to simutaneously use the component outputs with the S-Video output?

Is the serial port on the back of the unit only for use with SA "blasters"?

Thanks

14. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    You can not use s-Video or compose output on 8000HD only the compnent works. This is from Time Warner in New York city.I tried all kind of ways to get TIVO to work.I could not do it

15. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    No clue about your particular cable operator / box / software version ... but this is certainly not accurate for all 8000HDs.

On my 8000HD, and on most versions of the SARA software ... specifically v.1.83.4.a8 (Cox, Fairfax) ... there's an 'SD Mode' which fully enables SVideo, composite, and coax all the time. All content, all functionality, etc. are all available. Fully usable with Tivo ...

1. Make sure cabling is hooked up appropriately. Run component to your TV. Run SVideo (if you've got it), composite, or coax to the TV/Tivo. Don't use composite from the 'Out to VCR' outputs ... use the standard 'Out to TV' composite outputs (which is actually one of the component connectors so that probably won't be usefull in this example).

To switch to 'SD Mode':
    1. Turn on TV/Tivo
    2. Make sure TV/Tivo is on the correct input (SVideo, composite, or Ch. 3 if using coax)
    3. Tun off 8000HD
    4. Press Guide and Info at the same time on the box.
    5. Note - if you've got your TV on the component input, you'll see a message box with something to the effect of "Currently in HD Mode, press [A] to continue" ... don't press anything (but switch TV/Tivo to appropriate input ... SVideo, composite, or Ch. 3).
    5. Wait ...
    6. Wait ...
    7. You'll eventually see a message (on the TV/Tivo) "Currently in SD Mode, press [A] to continue".
    8. Press [A] to use 'SD Mode'
    9. If you've got your TV on component input, the display will be black/white/fuzzy. This is normal because the top composite output will be active.
    10. Turn box on ... you're good to go. SVideo, composite, and coax will all always be active. It's just like running a normal SciAtl 8000 (SD).

To switch to back to 'HD Mode':
    1. Turn on TV/Tivo
    2. Make sure TV is on the correct input (component)
    3. Turn off 8000HD
    4. Press Guide and Info at the same time on the box.
    5. Note - You'll see a message box with something to the effect of "Currently in SD Mode, press [A] to continue" ... don't press anything. On component input the message will be black/white/fuzzy. On SVideo, composite, or coax ... the message will be clear.
    6. Don't press anything yet
    7. Wait ...
    8. Wait ...
    9. You'll eventually see a clear message (via component) "Currently in HD Mode, press [A] to continue". Via SVideo, composite, or coax ... you wouldn't see anything.
    10. Press [A] to use 'HD Mode'

You're now in the 'HDTV Setup Wizard' (which you can exit out of ... press exit or turn box on). But ... it's good to know and described here (with several errors / ommissions / things not applicable to your software):
    http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/getting_started/4003114B.pdf

11. Turn box on ... you're good to go

Notes:
    1. Exact details may vary with exact software / version. I've heard later versions of SARA have potentially 'disabled' the wizard used above ... but I can only confirm the software I have. No clue if this works with Passport.

2. There's also feedback on the front panel LED which would allow you to switch modes w/o looking at the screen. I forget exactly what it is (I think 'HD' and 'SD) ... but ... you may want to make a note of that if you're going to do this often.

3. I think there's a shorter way of doing this using a specific combination of buttons on the front of the box ... but I forget the details at the moment.

4. When in 'HD Mode', SVideo, Coax output, and the 'Out To VCR' composite outputs are active when using PIP and 'Save To VCR'. For some this isn't helpfull (can't ff/rw/list/etc ... wouldn't work well with Tivo) ... but it's good to know. For example, it'd be a way to dump a show to a Tivo (in the background) while watching something else on the 8000HD. An HD source + TivoToGo ... you could actually make some pretty good-looking DVDs.

5. 'SD Mode' is DIFFERENT from being in 'HD Mode' with output format set to 480i. In 'SD mode' ... SVideo, composite, and coax are always active. In 'HD Mode' at 480i ... component is output at 480i ... but SVideo, composite, and coax are NOT active.

16. ehagberg

ehagberg Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Montclair, NJ
    But this does mean that you have to manually set your box back to HD mode in order to record an HD show, right? Or can you have the box in SD mode - so that Tivo can record from Svideo or composite - and still record HD versions of shows, for viewing later?

As far as I can tell, this setup is a step backwards from what the 3100HD (non DVR) does - all outputs are active, except when an HD channel is selected... then the SD outputs go blank. It looks like the 8300HD DVR also does this, but the 8000HD doesn't.

Bummer.

I was told today that only the 8000HD is available from TWC in NYC.

17. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    No. The 8000HD will happily record HD content when in 'SD Mode'. It will even play it back (and output) HD content ... in SD over the regular outputs. You just need to be in 'HD Mode' to actually watch HD content ... in HD.
    Exactly.
    They're each goofy in their own ways. I also don't like how the 3100HD is locked in to 1080i via component ... or the lack of DVI. The 3250HD (with appropriate software) fixes many of these issues ...

Personally, I've hooked my SA Tivo up via coax and use it only for analog channels. That's what works best for me. But I did want to point out that is is POSSIBLE to use a Tivo with an 8000HD ... and what's required to do so.

As always ... exact software / version / cable system / etc. can lead to different results. I'm on Cox Fairfax SARA 1.83.4.a8.

18. mattboom

mattboom New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    One thing no one is talking about is the fact that the SA8000 turns itself off every night. It has an power save feature that turns it off at 1 a.m. each night and it stays off until you turn it back on.
    If it's off, the Tivo can't change the channel or turn the box on, so that means a lot of missed shows.

Matt

19. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Good point.

v 1.83.4.a8 was the first software version I had with this "feature". Previous versions didn't do this. Hadn't thought about what this would cause.

20. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Thanks for this news. This certainly wasn't the case before; else we would have seen posts about it.

If this problem is affecting all SA8000 owners now, please post here to let me know. If the problem is indeed widespread, I'll add a warning to the SA8000 entry in the Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility & Codes List.

There's no way to turn off this "feature", I take it? What if you schedule the SA8000 to make a recording at 1am?