1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 tivo bash help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Cool Javelin, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Cool Javelin

Cool Javelin New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi Friendly Tivors:

I have a series 2 tivo (I think) with V1.3 software. I have access to the BASH prompt via the serial port.

Is there a way I can type a command at the BASH prompt to set the channel, then start and stop a recording?

I tried to install TivoWEB with no luck. Somehow I hosed the system and had to do a restore. I'd rather not do that again.

Maybe there are routines that come with TivoWEB I can use to initiate a recording? Or perhaps some other "outside the box" method?

Thanks for your help, Mark.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Your entire previous post from almost 4 years ago indicates that you have a Series 1 Philips.

If you have lifetime on that, you should check and see if the lifetime sub was purchased before January 21, 2000. If so, it can be transferred one time to another TiVo.

Although since you're running v1.3 of the software and not v3.0, I'm wondering if this thing has ever been subscribed.

3. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I don't know what issues you had with TiVoWeb/TiVoWebPlus, but it does support browser-based manual record functionality and it's also pretty easy to set up. As long as you have serial bash, you simply dump the TiVoWebPlus distribution to a hack directory and startup the server process in the rc startup scripts:

Code:
    /var/hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb console &
    It works on my old S1 standalone and DirecTV combo units with no issues on software version 3.x (other than being sloooow over ppp).

4. Cool Javelin

Cool Javelin New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I have 2 TIVO's, yes, both are probably series one, and neither have ever had a subscription and both have version 1.3 software.

The only Tivoweb version would be 0.94.

As far as I know, the TivoWeb sets things to record in the queue. While this may be a stopgap, the clocks in the Tivos drift and the recordings start or stop at the wrong times.

Without the subscriptions, the clocks do not get reset properly. Also, since our wonderful government changed the dates for daylight savings time, there are weeks where the clock is an hour off.

Rather, I would simply like to send a command over the serial port (via the BASH prompt) to set the channel and start and stop recording.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Mark.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Let it get 3.01. It will connect to the service for time, even without subscription. You will get the same features.