1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 stuck on powering up

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by randym44, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Nov 17, 2006 #1 of 137
    randym44

randym44 New Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Any suggestions for me. My 2 yr old Series 2 is stuck on the Welcome, Powering Up screen. I've tried unplugging to no avail. Tivo support has told me my box is essentially blown up and need a new one. Help if you can please.

Thanks

2. Nov 18, 2006 #2 of 137
    sbl

sbl New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Sounds like you hard drive has failed most likely. You can buy a preconfigured drive on Ebay or read the forums and figure out how to image one yourself...

3. Nov 18, 2006 #3 of 137
    wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Preconfigured hard drives are also available from the store on this forum.

If you want to do it yourself, you can get an image via Instantcake from ptvupgrade.com.

4. Nov 18, 2006 #4 of 137
    ShawnDoc

ShawnDoc New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    I had the same problem this morning. It had downloaded the new service update, which then proceeded to brick my Tivo. I pulled the plug, waiting 30 sec, then plugged it back in. It got to the Powering Up screen, stayed there for about 5 minutes, and right now it says its installing the service pack.

So hopefully in an hour or so my Tivo will return to functional.

5. Nov 18, 2006 #5 of 137
    jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    I agree with sbl, sounds like a hard drive failure. Visit the stickies in the Upgrade Center from the Main Menu of this forum on how to image a new drive. As previously said, you can also buy a pre-configured plug and play drive.

Keep in mind, as a rule of thumb - The least expensive repair option is to repair it yourself by purchasing a blank drive, putting the correct image on the drive yourself. The most expensive repair option is to buy a plug and play drive with the correct image already installed.

To buy an high capacity and inexpensive drive visit www.outpost.com and look at their daily hard drive specials. You can probably get a 300GB drive for around $70-$80. Then to image the drive, visit www.ptvupgrade.com to download and burn the correct Instant Cake image for your Tivo. To get the image on your new drive you will need to open a computer, connect the new drive, and boot from the Instant Cake CD (be careful to follow the steps closely). Then just unplug your TiVo, open the case, and replace the drive.

To buy a pre-formatted drive visit www.weaknees.com or www.ptvupgrade.com or the store on this website. Generally speaking you will pay anywhere from $75 to $150 to have an image put on the drive for you.

Good luck.

6. Nov 18, 2006 #6 of 137

8486 New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Happened to mine too this morning. Pulled plug and left unplugged for a few minutes the plugged back in and its been stuck on "powering up" for 30 minutes now. Just thought I'd post in case it's a trend....

7. Nov 18, 2006 #7 of 137
    Raff

Raff New Member

Feb 25, 2002
    I think it may be a trend... mine started to do the same thing yesterday (11/17)..
    powers up... then says 'almost there... .just a few more minutes'

8. Nov 18, 2006 #8 of 137

8486 New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    It's never left the "Powering up" screen after a few unplugs and hours of sitting. Doesn't look good.

9. Nov 19, 2006 #9 of 137
    izaguirres

izaguirres New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Mine has been on "almost there" since yesterday. I tried unplugging it overnight with no luck. Has anyone had any success with theirs coming back to life?

10. Nov 19, 2006 #10 of 137
    Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world

Feb 18, 2002
    Occasionally they will come back to life, if you leave them plugged in, but really it's just an indication of a hard drive going bad.

Weaknees sells preconfigured drives that work very well.

11. Nov 19, 2006 #11 of 137
    pmpappas

pmpappas New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    (My apologies for cut/paste of this exitsing post. I have not posted enough for the forum to allow me to imbed url's - or so it seems)
    I've seen several reports of problems with the 8.1 service update on Series 2 units causing them to "hang" after the restart to install the update. Restarting the Tivo's don't seem to help. Hopefully my experience will give you some hope if you are having a similar problem. I have four 80 hour Series 2 units (one a Humax). This morning one of my regular Tivos showed the "it may this take an hour or a bit longer to install this update" (close enough :) screen. Normally my Tivo's do their restarts around 2 am. I'm 99% sure it was performing the update at about 4 am. To make a long story short, it appears it took about TEN HOURS to complete the update. During those last few hours when I was awake I never heard the hard drive active (and in my experience its very easy to hear on all my Tivo's). The silence coupled with the reports of problems finally made me decide to pull the plug and restart it myself. Turns out my wife had discovered just a few minutes before the tivo was up and running (and showing 8.1 installed). Everything SEEMS to work so far. So, my advice (and your mileage may vary) is to leave the beast alone for 24 hours before you give up. One of my other units is pending restart and I assume the rest won't be far behind. I plan to wait at least 24 hours after restart before I assume the installation failed. Wish me luck (you too :).

12. Nov 20, 2006 #12 of 137
    shasteve

shasteve New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    This happened to me too. It was hung up on "just a few minutes more" for hours. I unplugged it overnight and when I plugged it in this morning, it started up and appears to be working fine.

Now I want to know if this is a sign of a dying hard drive or just a software glitch. Is there a way to tell if my TiVo was in the middle of a service upgrade when this happened? Or if I got a service upgrade recently?

13. Nov 20, 2006 #13 of 137
    randym44

randym44 New Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I left mine on overnight after the initial "blow up" so it was displaying the powering up screen for about 12 hours and never came back to life. It was just a 40 hr Series 2 and had been wanting to upgrade anyway so I went and got a new Series 2. Just happened to blow up the night before the OSU/Michigan game and needed a Tivo for the game. Now I might give it a try and let it run for a day or so and see if it ever comes back. Only concern is to get the full rebate with the new box, I had to cancel my old Tivo service and activate a new one since Tivo told me my old box was dead anyway. Anyone know if there's any chance of the old box coming back to life without an active subscription on it? I would imagine the software would still run so I could see if it works or not, but just wouldn't be able to do any tivo-ing.

14. Nov 20, 2006 #14 of 137
    izaguirres

izaguirres New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    well, mine has been on almost there for over 24 hours now. I think it's dead.

15. Nov 20, 2006 #15 of 137
    wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    If your TiVo stays on "powering up", it most likely is never starting to boot from the disk - means bad hard disk.

16. Nov 21, 2006 #16 of 137
    rpmkel

rpmkel New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Seems like everyone is having the same problem. My Tivo Series 2 has working like a dream for two years. On Sunday I get the message that it has downloaded the new Fall 2006 Update and today it won't run more than five minutes before it freezes on the Welcome! Powering Up screen. Sounds to me more like a problem with the new Update than with a failed hard drive. Especially if everyone is having the same problem after the Update is installed. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

17. Nov 22, 2006 #17 of 137
    bru2al1ty

bru2al1ty New Member

Nov 22, 2006
    It happened to me this morning. My Tivo has been working fine for the past 3 months and now it just keeps restarting. At first after the just a minute almost there screen it showed the message that it had updated and to push select when done reading which inbetween the restarts i did. now it just blanks to a black screen after the almost there screen and restarts indefinetly for the past 14 hours. But before this my tivo was perfect not one glitch or problem. i received the same fall update the poster before mentioned. My tivo isn't even 1 year old so how can the hard drive be bad?? sorry its a series 2 tivo with 80 hour drive. Anybody know what to do to fix this??

18. Nov 22, 2006 #18 of 137
    wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Try unplugging the TiVo, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in.

19. Nov 22, 2006 #19 of 137
    bru2al1ty

bru2al1ty New Member

Nov 22, 2006
    i did twice didn't change anything with the power up and restart cycle.

20. Nov 22, 2006 #20 of 137
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL