1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 - R10 Problems

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Joe_Q, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Joe_Q

Joe_Q New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Hi Guys,

Have an R10, that has been inactive since earlier this spring. Wanted to view some of my previously recorded programs. Hooked it up, and it booted up fine, then went through all the DirecTV blue screens, till it got to DirecTV Home Central. Clicked on the Now Playing list, and then the unit (by itself) rebooted again, and then would not get past the Powering Up screen.

Did DirecTV send some kind of kill code, to prevent me from using my (unsubscribed) R10 anymore? I called, and tried to reactivate it again, but it still would not get past the Powering Up screen.

Is this thing permanently dead now? Can I do anything, to try to get it to work again? I would like to try to save all my recorded programs, if I could.

Anybody have any help, or suggestions in this situation?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TC Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Sounds like a hard disk failure. Prospects are not good for a recovery. You could try a Kickstart 54 and see if it helps. I would not be hopeful.
  3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    However, the DirecTiVo S2s are also subject to "capacitor plague", so power supply problems need to be ruled out first.

And instead of running KS 54 I'd pull the drive and run the manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test.

And check the power supply thoroughly while I had the cover off.
  4. fooz

fooz New Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Spinrite has saved me many a Tivo drive back in my DirecTV days.