1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 No Audio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by riodavid, Sep 21, 2011.

1. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Just hooked up my Series 2 after it being idle for 9 months. I can hear the Tivo sounds and listen to previously recorded shows.

I cannot hear live TV audio. I have tried RCA cables (many) and coax cable connections, same, no audio. I do get audio from my cable box when I connect directly to the TV.

When I have coax connection and power off the box, I get signal, with audio, on the TV.

I have run guided setup several times to configure with cable, no box, box, etc, to no avail.

My feeling is that the box is broken. However, I have not given up. I changed the hard disk years ago, so not timid about opening the box up and poking around.

One complication, I live in Rio de Janeiro and use the box to manually record, playback, pause, etc. I have messed with the SAP settings and do not think this is the problem.

Any suggestions?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say you have messed with the SAP settings, I assume you mean that you tried all of the different options for that setting with no noticable difference.

Can you record a show now and hear audio from it on playback?

3. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I changed all the SAP settings on the cable box and on TIVO. All combos, no audio.

I recorded a brief bit, but on playback, no audio. Sigh.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you recording analog cable, just cable to the RF input on the back of the TiVo, no cable box or adapter of any kind?

5. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I recorded the output of the cable box on the coax. My next option will be to run guided setup again, and use RCA inputs from the cable box and then connect my DVD player to the input and see if that works.

6. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Oh when I swap the connections and watch TV on the coax and have the RCA on the Tivo, also no audio. But current setup is for the coax, have to run guided setup to swap back.

I setup using 90204 as the zip code, but have done this for years and worked well before.

7. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Did you look in Messaging and Settings ==> Settings ==> Audio and made sure everything is right there?

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have a subscription on that TiVo?

Guided Setup usually wants to confirm account status.

If you really can run GS and lie to it that you're in a California zip code, you should be able to lie to it and say that you've got satellite (DirecTV, since they have a channel 1) as well as cable, provided you've got something outputing video into the video input jack, so that it thinks it detects a satellite box, and then tune to channel 1 and check the audio and video on the line inputs.

If you can get live audio on the line ins, but not on the RF in, that'll tell us something.

9. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Well, GS finished and I get video just fine, connected the RCA audio out from my DVD player and no audio, so I think the TIVO is dead.

I will run and see if satellite works.

Thanks guys..

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So you haven't told it the "I've got DirecTV" lie yet?

11. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    GS is finishing now for DirectTV. On the GS setup, I cant recall if you get audio when it asks if you see a picture. I did see a picture, but no audio. Will post back when the 2nd download finishes.

Yes, this TIVO is subscribed.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, so you're feeding something into the line inputs that the TiVo thinks is a satellite receiver, right?

13. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Yep, I have the 3 RCA inputs connected correctly. I have fine video. Still no audio. The same cable works fine when I connect directy to the TV.

So, i think out of options. The audio input part of the TIVO must be dead.

Does not work when configured for coax input (but if the TIVO is powered off signal passes through with audio to the TV)

Does not work with RCA cables when configured for cable box or direct tv box.

Does not work with DVD player attached.

Does not work with newly recorded and playback.

Does have audio for Tivo sounds and previously recorded shows.

Best bet, have someone bring an old series 1 or 2 down here for me. I have a HUMAX in California but a bit large to put in luggage.

Thanks guys.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The reason I had you do the fake satellite thing was to see if it was the analog circuitry immediately following the tuner that separates out the video and the audio (what was once known as the IF strip in televisions) that had developed a problem in the audio part, but apparently the part that takes the analog audio from either the tuner or the line inputs and digitizes it has quit working.

It could be something simple like a capacitor gone bad, but you need a schematic to find it.

What model is this and is it a lifetime sub?

15. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Model number is TCD240008A. No lifetime. My lifetime is on two Series 1s that some family members have.

Re-setting it up for cable, no STB. I did not run clear everything and start over, I do have some movies recorded that I like to watch, but I can move to desktop.

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is there any chance you can get your hands on another 240 or 540 down there?

Do you have a #10 torx driver?

When I previously said "capacitor", I meant one on the motherboard.

However, that model is known for capacitors (one in particular) going bad in the power supply.

It's just barely within the realm of possibility that your power supply is just barely enough below working properly that most everything will work except that one circuit.

Check out badcaps.net and lcdalternatives to get an idea of what bad electrolytic capacitors look like, then go here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Repair-a-Hughes-HDVR2-Tivo-Power-Supply/

It's for a satellite TiVo, but the principle's the same and the power supply is very similar looking. It's the same value cap as well. I think Radio Shack has one of the same microFarad and voltage rating, if they've got Radio Shacks down there. Just be sure to observe polarity.

If it can keep one tuner out of 2 on the DirecTiVo from working, it could probably keep your problem circuit from working as well.

You can borrow the power supply out of another 240 or 540 to see if it fixes things.

The 540 supply doesn't have quite the current delivering capacity as the 240 supply, so it's not a permanent replacement.

17. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Dont have a torx 10 but easy to find one here. Not so easy to find the capacitor (finding an electronic component store not easy).

Nobody here has a TIVO that I know of.

The cable company does have HD DVRs but cost a fortune and are terrible user interface and controls (or lack thereof).

I might open it up later tonight and look around.

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Be sure to check those website first so that you know what to look for, and re-read my previous post which I edited.

19. riodavid

riodavid New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks, I used to design and build electronic equipment, in my former life! Then fix large mainframe computers for IBM for a lot of years (oh some had vaccum tubes in the day, then, wow, transistors!! But the days of fixing electonics with an oscilloscope and logic diagrams or schematics are pretty much gone (at least for me).

20. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, you've got me beat. My first computer was only an IBM 360. Of course it was at TUCC*, so I had to share it with a lot of other people.

But anyway, see if you're a victim of capacitor disease before you give up on it.

*Triangle Universities Computation Center--Carolina, Duke, and State