1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 - Any value to sale?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DrewTivo, Nov 18, 2013.

1. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    I'm clearing out my house and have 3 old Series 2 Tivos (two are DT 649-xxxx, one the older 240-xxxx). No lifetime--all previously subscribed.

Is there any value to these on the ebay/craigslist market? Won't waste my time for only a few bucks, but if people actually can use these things, even for parts, I'll post them. Otherwise, off to electronics recycling.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't know about eBay, but googling "site:craigslist.org tivo" and sorting by date lets me see who's offering what around the country and I see people listing S2s (you wouldn't believe how many never unboxed 540s there are out there) and asking some actual money for them, but I don't think many of them have the success for which they'd hoped.

But since they are useful for parts, including the motherboard if someone has a bad lifetimed motherboard and knows how to move the Surface Mount Device crypto chip (to which the TiVo Service Number, and therefore the lifetime sub, is tied), put them on your local Craigslist for a modest price (inconvenience yourself a little bit to spread the TiVo love), and if they don't move, donate them to Goodwill so that someone looking for a parts machine later has a shot at them.

Maybe you can even get a tax write-off that way.

I think maybe $10 to $20 is a realistic asking price if someone is looking for parts.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You might have more luck selling just the hard drive and power supply. An entire S2 costs more to ship than it's worth. You might be able to sell an individual hard drive or power supply on line and ship it for a few dollars.

I've picked up a few S2s at yard sales for $5-$10 to keep as backups for my lifetime S2s.

4. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    You might be able to sell them to your local high school or college to use as a revue of student athletics performance with a 15 sec' delay. That is what I have sold them for here in Denver. They don't have to have service or anything to work this way.

5. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Done that . . . not sure if the love isn't already spread enough! (given the lack of responses thus far)

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Which Craigslist? (Geographically speaking)

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have 5 S2 TiVos in my closet collecting dust. Unless they have lifetime they're basically worthless.

8. rorrim

rorrim Runs with Scissors

Jun 21, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I have two with lifetime that need new hard drives. Is it worth fixing them to sell, or should I just take them to the next electronics recycling event?

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're talking lifetimed S2s, they can serve as someone else's anchor unit for Multi-Set Discount, so it would be worth it to them to put in new drives perhaps.

I just hate the idea of a lifetimed unit going into the landfill or a non-lifetimed unit not being cannibalized for parts to keep a lifetimed unit going.

You could Craigslist them for sale cheap, making it very clear in the listing that a new drive is needed and that the buyer would have to us a PC to load an image on it.

Of course you could also mention in the ad that they could come here to TCF to learn how to do that, although why don't you tell us the model numbers so we can be sure the image is available.

That's all assuming that the problem with them is the drive and only the drive and that there's nothing wrong with the power supply (which may be making it look like a bad drive).

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What kind are they? I might be able to spare a couple of drives from the ones I have.

11. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Washington DC

Hello!

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Sounds like a match made in TiVo heaven.

:)

13. sastexan

sastexan New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Ha. I'm also in the DC area - my S2 with lifetime finally croaked - and I'm buying a Roamio to replace an S2 with monthly service (they are transferring the 6.95/mo plan over). I guess I could swap hard drives from the dead lifetime S2 to the live monthly S2 to revive the lifetime unit.

14. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
  15. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Even with Lifetime, who's going to want something that's useless in an HD, digital, box-required world?

16. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I still have two S2 DT boxes in the closet. One has an upgraded drive in it. They have been on Craigslist for more than a year, as well as a few listings on eBay. No bites.

17. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Apparently tens of people according to past sales on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?clk_...fetime+series+2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc
    These are all sold TiVos.

Not working - Tivo Series 2 Lifetime Service 187 hrs w/wireless adapter
    $24.82
    15 bids
    tivo series 2 lifetime

tivo series 2 lifetime
    FAST 'N FREE - Get it on or before Fri, Nov. 29
    Time left: Nov-23 10:31
    $80.00
    Toshiba RS-TX60 DVD Recorder with 300 GB/Hour TiVo Series2 DVR + LIFETIME

Toshiba RS-TX60 DVD Recorder with 300 GB/Hour TiVo Series2 DVR + LIFETIME
    $127.50
    6 bids
    TiVo Series 2 DVR Dual Tuner 80-Hour with Lifetime Service TCD649080 Remote

TiVo Series 2 DVR Dual Tuner 80-Hour with Lifetime Service TCD649080 Remote
    $50.99
    2 bids
    TiVo Series 2 TCD540080 (80 GB) DVR - LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION

TiVo Series 2 TCD540080 (80 GB) DVR - LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION

$49.99
    1 bid
    TiVo Series 2 Digital Video Recorder W/Remote and Lifetime Membership

TiVo Series 2 Digital Video Recorder W/Remote and Lifetime Membership

$50.00
    1 bid
    Tivo Series 2 With Product Lifetime Service Records 281 Hours Works Great Clean!

Tivo Series 2 With Product Lifetime Service Records 281 Hours Works Great Clean!
    $165.00
    Buy It Now
    Free shipping
    Pioneer DVR-810h Tivo Series 2 DVR & DVD Recorder with Lifetime Basic Service

18. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
  19. alansh

alansh New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I still use my lifetimed S2 for Tivo to Go -- Cox (my local provider) has copy protected everything except the broadcast channels in my area. So if I want to use T2Go for a cable show, I use my S2. I have a 2-tuner Premier for my HDTV in my house, but almost everything I record is cable so I can't transfer it.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You know there are ways to capture HD now. Hauppauge makes a couple of cards with component inputs, and they figured out how to capture the output of a Slingbox.

Or better yet find a old S3 with a PROM update so you can hack it and disable the CCI byte.