1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 540xxx sound chirping

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MikeLobby, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MikeLobby

MikeLobby New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Illinois
    Does anybody remember the specifics of the S2 sound problems (kazoo?) from days of yore? My searching fails today. Basically...

I got a 540040 S2 second hand (now lifetime). It had issues with weird static/chirps in the sound recording or output. At the time it was suggested that there were some S2s with a defective chip causing the problem. The work around suggested was to make the Tivo hotter on the inside. I accomplished this by putting duct tape over half of the fan grate. So for the past three years my Tivo is chirp free but running at 48c according to the temp sensor. This can't be good for the HD or power supply caps. I would like to get another 540xxx tivo and swap boards (yes I know I will have to swap the crypto chip also). So that brings me to my question:

Does anyone remember if the chirping problem on 540xxx S2s was widespread? Is there any known serial number or production date ranges to avoid when shopping for a donor unit?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Hadn't heard of the chirping sound before, and I'd love to know how the heat fixes it, but you really should take a look at the capacitors on the power supply. The 540 is one of the ones to have problems with them even if not deliberately overheated.

3. royfernandez

royfernandez New Member

Apr 18, 2012
    I've heard about the static and chirping sounds, but they were fixed with the firmware update. Not too sure about the heating and the capacitor issue. If it was a heating issue, would some third party heat sink resolve it?

4. MikeLobby

MikeLobby New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Illinois
    I didn't think it was possible to update the firmware remotely? In any case, I guess I should pull the tape of and see if the chirping returns.