1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

series 1 hdd errors

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by banjomaniac, Feb 22, 2013.

1. banjomaniac

banjomaniac New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I pulled the drive from my Philips hdr112 series 1 TiVo. The unit has lifetime service and the I rigged it wireless with a spare 54g linksys. Now the guy I bought it from upgraded it to a 120 gig WDHDD. About 2 weeks ago it was stuck on boot screen, I tried diagnostics and all the tricks online, nothing worked so I pulled the drive, loaded winmfs and it kept giving me the error 8 super header so I tried fixing the boot, first #1 then #2 and now I'm getting error 7 about partitions or something. I have a new old stock WD drive, same type as what was in the unit except 160 gig and want to use winmfs and put the image I downloaded for this series 1 tivo onto the new drive. It gives an inode error everytime I try to put that image onto the drive, I'm wondering if the drive needs re formatted?

Thanks for all the help guys

Banjomaniac

2. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Have you run the Western Digital disk diags on the new drive? I would do that and make sure you have a good drive before worrying about the TiVo restore issues.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Drives do not need to be formatted, unformatted, or reformatted before writing a TiVo image to them with either the MFS Live cd, WinMFS, or the byte for byte copy utilities like

dd

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

On modern drives what used to be called low-level formatting is done at the factory and there's nothing you can do at home to change it.

Anything else gets overwritten, as long as there's nothing physically wrong with the drive.

4. banjomaniac

banjomaniac New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Ok, I'll be working on this tonight so I'll give it another go, I have a few used drives and might see if the image will work in one of those, kind of a process of elimination to help figure out what I'm doing right or wrong.

Thanks