1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

series 1 drive test and swap

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by banjomaniac, Feb 17, 2013.

1. banjomaniac

banjomaniac New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I have a hdr112 that is stuck on start up screen. Can't get anything to work, I have it connected to my windows 7 pc in an external usb drive case and it doesn't show up in my computer menu so I don't know. It does recognise it and shows in devices and printers. The drive is spinning so I know it does power on, maybe something else is wrong? I also have an almost new series 2 model TCD540040 and wondered if I can just put that drive in the series 1 just put it right in and turn it on? The series 1 has lifetime service so I would like to keep using it.

thanks for any help

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Nope.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

You have a lot of reading to do.

The TiVo uses a version of the Apple Partition Map on it's hard drive, and PC operating systems aren't usually designed to be able to read them, so when they look at a drive and don't see a DOS-type MBR, they think the drive is blank.

Even if they could read Apple Partition Maps, they might not know to read Series 1 drives because those are byte-swapped.

The S2s and later are not.

There's probably a new hard drive in your future.

Go to mfslive.org and read your eyeballs out.

Come back here and read the IDE/SATA adapter thread.

Then post more questions before actually doing anything.