1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

selling old Series2, need help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by eman9928, Feb 20, 2013.

1. eman9928

eman9928 New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    I have this old Series 2 I have sitting around and have decided to finally sell it.

It is still listed on my account on tivo.com, under Inactive TiVo devices

I will not sell on ebay unless it is the last resort, plan on selling it on craigslist

Already cleared all recordings, data, etc.

How much should I try to sell it for?
    Do I have to give the future owner some personal information when they buy this unit from me in order to re-activate under a different account?

Do they still allow service subscription and/or support for this series of devices?

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Look at completed sold listings on eBay for the exact Tivo that you are selling to figure out the price you should sell it for. If it doesn't have lifetime then for me I would just give it to a thrift store, or if you have another TiVo that is the same model that you are using, keep it for parts. You don't have to give the new owner any info. Many on this forum say that you have to , but you dn't. The only exception is TiVo has offered a discount monthly plan that can be transferred over to the new owner.

If you do try to sell it on craiglist you might wait a long time to sell it except if you undervalue it. If it doesn't have lifetime it will probably never sell.

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
  4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you want to subscribe a Series 2 they'll be happy to take your money.

Not sure exactly what you mean by support. The last update to the S2 software was quite some time back. And you can be sure that the last update was the last update there ever will be, barring something completely unforeseen.

Realistic Craigslist prices for a dual tuner S2 range from $20 down to "it's on the curb, come get it before the garbageman gets here" if it doesn't have a lifetime subscription.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sad to say, you could probably get more money selling the power supply and hard drive seperately. :p

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually, if you have a 540 where the little TiVo guy is still securely glued to the front and the light works, you can probably sell the front panel for more than the entire unit.

Provided you find a buyer, which pretty much means eBay.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I just bought a S2 (540) off of craigslist for $30. It included a tivo wireless g adapter and remote. No cords were included. All I needed was the remote, so I sold the adapter for $30 on ebay and I plan on eventually selling the power supply and front bezel (with tivo guy). S2 Tivos aren't worth much unless you part them out and that only increases the value enough to make the effort almost worth while.