1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling old series 2 tips?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by melanienyc, Feb 20, 2010.

1. melanienyc

melanienyc New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    New York City
    I have an old series 2 tivo that's just been gathering dust in our apartment. Anyone have any tips on the best place to sell or recycle it?

Thanks,
    Melanie

2. schwinn

schwinn New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    The real value in these is if they have lifetime-service on them as well (the service travels with the unit, in case you didn't know). A non-lifetimed S2 is worth much less...

Do you know if it has lifetime on it?

3. melanienyc

melanienyc New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    New York City
    It doesn't. We transferred the lifetime to our new series 3 when we bought that. I wish a site like gazelle.com would take it!

4. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I recently sold 2 series 2 540040s on ebay.

1. lifetime with 200gb hd upgrade:$245.00

1. no lifetime, 250gb hd: $45.00

5. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If you're going to get ~$45 for it, know that UPS ground shipping for a TiVo is on the order of $20. I sold an S2DT (no mods) for something like $50 shipped thinking shipping would be about half of what it was.

6. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Exactly regarding shipping. I learned early on Ebay to always specify a shipping cost in advance and guess on the high side. I used $20 bucks on both and ground shipping was less than that to both destinations although close.

7. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Go with Craigslist to avoid the shipping issue.

I went nuts picking up a few S2s and ended up getting the best deals through Craigslist by driving and picking them up. (The sellers almost always meet you at a fast food parking lot due the scare stories.)

8. melanienyc

melanienyc New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    New York City
    Thanks for the info. A couple more questions:

1. I can't recall how big a hard drive this tivo has - how can I find out the specs on it?
    2. If someone buys it, is it just a phone call to tivo to transfer the account to them?

Thanks, again for the help!

9. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    1. Look at the model # on the back. 540040 = 40 GB. 540080 = 80. That's all I know...

2. If you don't have lifetime there is nothing to transfer. The person that buys it will just contact tivo to set up their own account and activate the service # under their name. When I was selling my S2s I contacted Tivo just to let them know that they (the S2s) were being sold and would be transfered to new accounts. In the same call I also stopped service on the S2 I was paying for (the other was lifetime). The tivo rep said they flagged my account with that info.