1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling a TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GoEagles, Apr 29, 2013.

1. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I am about to sell a TiVo and the buyer wants to verify the subscription. It is generally safe to give her the TSN on the back of the device? I just don't want them to try to change my account or anything weird like that.

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I read on a ebay posting that the poster would not give out the TSN because of what happened to him before. He didn't say what did happen.

If the TiVo is a series 1 with lifetime and old enough, the lifetime can be transferred over to another TiVo, and if the TiVo agent doesn't play totally by the rules, someone could transfer the lifetime and not even have it their possession. I could have done that one time, but of course didn't.

Many TiVos on ebay blot out the TSN, but many of them right there on the pictures of the TiVo.
  3. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Even if the TSN is moved by anyone you give the TSN number to, you still have the TiVo, you can just move it back to your account, because you can prove the TiVo is in your home. The Series 1 special xfer may be an exception to what I just said.
  4. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Have you called Tivo to ask them???
  5. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I have sold many lifetime series 3 and hd tivos and always clearly show the tsn in my pictures. I've never had any problems.
  6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Like a Tivo agent would know!? I mean they are 99% nice to me every time I call, but they are in the dark on a lot of stuff. Many of them don't know ( or at least say they have never heard of it ) transferring lifetime from a Series 1 in some cases, don't know the difference between lifetime basic and full lifetime, and other basic TiVo info.
  7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Please don't use terms you don't understand when attempting to point out the ignorance of others.
    It's not lifetime basic, it's Tivo Basic.
    And why do you keep calling them, if their information isn't useful to you?