1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-install if I have a multistream CC already?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jgerry, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    I currently have an Tivo HD, S3, with a multistream cablecard from Comcast. If I buy the new Roamio (terrible name!) will I be able to just put that card in the Roamio and activate without having a tech come out to the house? I've tried calling TiVo to ask but they must be quite busy. :)

2. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek Reality Challenged

Nov 18, 2001
    Gulfport,...
    You should be able to, according to current FCC rules the major cable companies aren't supposed to require a truck roll just to pair up a cablecard with a consumer device. That being said, your experience may vary. When I wanted to swap out single stream cards for multi stream cards in my two Tivo-HD's CableOne gave me quite a bit of grief over the phone about it, I stuck to my guns, kept referencing the FCC rules and they finally figured it out. From what I hear from friends in the area CableOne has gotten a lot better about it recently. You should get similar treatment from Comcast.

3. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I called brighthouse yesterday and they told me I could pick up a CC and install myself and then call them to finish the installation over the phone. Doing that today so we'll see how it goes.

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    I have moved cards from one Tivo to another on Comcast a few times and never had to do more than make a phone call. If you do have any problems, its better to talk to the Comcast people in the stores than the monkeys in the call center.

5. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    I have the same question. I'm also on Comcast (in Minnesota). I was also wondering if it is better to try to move the CableCard from my TiVoHD to the Roamio, or to acquire a new CableCard, and after everything is set up, then return the older CC.

I haven't had to mess with my CableCards since the initial installation in 2008. At that time it required a truck roll. Hopefully now I could do it myself.

John

6. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    I'm going to give it a try -- Roamio Plus purchased. We'll see how it goes.

Bought from Weaknees via Amazon -- says it could be up to three weeks for delivery. :thumbsdown:

7. billhelm

billhelm New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    In Minnesota on Comcast as well. Either way you go they should be able to pair it over the phone. I've done several over the phone after picking up a new card at a Comcast store or transferring from one unit to another and never had any issues.

8. Big Boy Laroux

Big Boy Laroux New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    why not buy from weaknees directly? They say shipping 8/22. and also get $25 off.

I was going to buy from amazon (and get Prime shipping) until they were out of stock

9. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    I would think both orders would be equal in Weaknees eyes, I'm going to give them a call and ask.

10. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    (BrightHouse) When our S3 died and we got a S4 I was able to call in and transfer both the CC & SDV to the new TiVo myself.

11. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Yeah my Amazon order also says shipping on 8/22:

12. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Does anyone have the most current number for Comcast's Cablecard Pairing Center? I tried to call the number I had on hand, but I get a "disconnected" message.

13. andyf

andyf Active Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    The # I have is 877-405-2298

14. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks, I had 887 as the area code. :confused:

15. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes, you can move the card yourself. Most channels will probably work off the bat, but you should call the cable company to get your card re-paired and re-validated. This is a trivial process if you get someone on the phone that knows what they are doing.

If anyone insists you need a truck roll, hang up and call again. All the installer is going to do is call and read the same numbers over the phone. There is NOTHING that requires an on site visit.

16. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    TROUBLESHOOTING : XFINITY On Demand for TiVo Premiere

This page shows the same ComCast CableCard support number. 877-405-2298

I am replacing 2 Series-3 units, so my plan it to say I have a replacement; please pair it. Then return the 3 Mutli-stream cards. With one Premier on the account and two S-3's to be removed. Without the two S-3's I can drop one of the $7.45 (digital additional) fees and both of the (2nd Cablecard) same outlet fees 2@$1.00 and one of the $1.99 (Additional Outlet) fees. Possible $11.44 a month in savings.

17. Big Boy Laroux

Oct 10, 2006
    I called comcast the other day, and they had an automated system for "sending a hit" to the card. hopefully that's all it takes! Comcast CSRs are the WORST.

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    When you move to a new device it gets new host id. So you will have to give Comcast the serial #, host id, and data id for them to re-pair the card.

19. Big Boy Laroux

Oct 10, 2006
    Thanks. I truly hate dealing with comcast. it is 100% my least favorite thing to do on this earth.

20. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    My wife used to jokingly hide the cable bills from me because every time one would come there was a new charge, add-on or some other crazy **** that would have me on the phone with them for hours. Fortunately, now that they've codified the cablecard policies through a lot of their accounting systems things have calmed down.