1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Select Button on Tivo Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Claudia999, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Claudia999

Claudia999 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I have three Tivos and four remotes. Two of the remotes are fully functional. The other two remotes are useful but the Select buttons do not work. When I press the Select button, the red light goes on but the Tivo does not respond; unless I am Finding Titles in the Alphabet screen to spell out a program title, when I cursor to a letter and press select, the Select button only advances the cursor to another letter but does not select the letter that I want. I have globally rebooted both of these remotes and changed the batteries. These two faulty remotes have the same problem on all three Tivos. I now want to retire one of my Tivos and give the remote, with its Lifetime Service to my daughter. Is there a way to refurbish my Remote or do I need to buy a new Remote so I can pass on a fully functional Tivo?

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    Take it apart, remove the battery cover, batteries, and screw in battery compartment. Take an old credit card, slip it between the halves, sliding it along popping the catches. Once open clean circuit board, and rubber membrane. Once dry, put back together.

3. Claudia999

Claudia999 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Thank you for this helpful reply. I have taken apart the remote. I cleaned out some obvious grime around the edges where the two plastic halves meet. There was a little grime in the circular depression/rim around the Select button and I have cleaned that. About the circuit boards, I see two: a larger one at the bottom and a smaller one at the top by the TIVO button. I have consulted the web on cleaning a circuit board, nevertheless, I do not see any obvious dust or grim to clean off. I have done a little work with a dust cloth and isopropyl alcohol but I have not made a difference. What do you mean by the rubber membrane?

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    The button keypad is the rubber membrane. You did not mention what Tivo remote you have? If after cleaning and still doesn't work, the keypad lost conductivity, so it won't make circuit, and fire the key. Time for new remote.