1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking advice from Roamio owners

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jap3, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jap3

jap3 Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Salem, NJ
    I'm a current owner of a Series 3 w/lifetime and thinking of taking the plunge with Roamio. I want the extra tuners and the ability to watch content on my iPad. Currently, I transfer from and to my Tivo using pyTivoX and iTivo. If there's a conflict, I go elsewhere for the content, which is maybe a few times a month.

I love my S3. It functions flawlessly and I've been using it for 5 years now. One thing that I love about it is the front display. I like the time and the display showing what's recording.

Are there any new owners out there coming from an old platform that can give advice on whether or not your ownership and features of the Roamio has blown the old platform out of the water?

Thanks for any insight you may offer.

2. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    We just upgraded from S3's last week. The new box is pretty awesome. I do miss the clock, although I could never read what it was recording. I find myself still glancing for the clock, though. :) Having a modern device and 6 tuners way outweighs the clock, though, IMO. :)

3. jap3

jap3 Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Salem, NJ
    Thanks! I don't know why I'm hung up on the clock and display. I thought it was a great design. I don't know why they changed it.

I've read there is a significant increase in menu speed, etc. Coming from an S3, do you really notice it? Is it pretty impressive?

4. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I have two S3's and added a Premier a couple of years ago. The one hesitation I had was the same as yours - the lack of the front display. Well, within a few days I didn't even notice it any longer. I've just added a Roamio. I'm guessing you'll feel the same.

5. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    The speed difference is very noticeable. Not sorry I switched.

6. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    It is pretty fast, and I love the HD menus.

Regarding the display, I think it was just another part that added cost and complication to the device. We actually did not have a display at all on one of ours for a long long time. We got them in 11/06 and that winter we had a power outage. They were both on a surge protector, but one of the displays was never quite right after the power flicker. The display gradually got dimmer and dimmer over a few weeks until it just stopped working entirely. I never bothered to get it fixed under warranty, but it seemed like maybe they were kind of a fragile part if a simple power outage while it was on surge protection killed it.

7. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Use the SPS9S code to put a clock on the TV in the upper right corner

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    For ease use that code when watching a recorded program.

9. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    It's just as easy from live tv - you just need to start add one more "select" at the beginning (ssp9s)