1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

season pass for multiple seasons

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by whitenack, Sep 15, 2008.

1. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Do the season passes that I create continue on from season to season?

Lets say I set up a season pass for "The Office". As season 4 ends and season 5 begins, will Tivo know to record the new season?

What about trickier programs, like say, Amazing Race 13. Will it only record Amazing Race 13, or will it know to record Amazing Race 14 when it comes around?

2. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    It depends. Sometimes shows have new titles, like with Amazing Race. You'll need a new pass for that. Others stay the same, such as grey's anatomy. You should check in your season pass manager for upcoming episodes to make sure it's recording as desired.

3. Scopeman

Scopeman 2 x Basic Roamio

Oct 22, 2002
    Central Texas
    Check out this section of the TivoCommuity.com site:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10

That Forum section deals with alerts regarding Season Passes. It is a good place to see warnings about those passes that will not carry from season to season (a problem for many reality shows like Amazing Race and Survivor, but not for most shows).

That Forum section is also a good place to see last minute warnings of times the guide data is bad and you need to pad your recording window (like for a show following a football game on a Sunday night).

4. CharlesH

CharlesH Member TCF Club

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Season passes are based on program IDs in the data TiVo gets from Tribune, not on the name. The name can change and not the ID, or vice versa. It's up to whoever produces the program to code this information however they want.

5. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    A Season Pass such as "ER", "Grey's Anatomy", "The Office" or any other show that has the same name will remain season to season.

However shows that change their name... Such as "Amazing Race..." (12, 13, 14, 15...) or "Big Brother..." (8, 9, 10...) or "Survivor..." (Pearl Islands, Gabon...) will need new Season Passes every season.

It is best to check each season & make sure everything is good....

TGC

6. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    While that maybe true.. You can't always count on it.

My last years season pass to "Grey's Anatomy", "ER", "Smallville" all picked up for this season with no problems.

I ALWAYS have problems EVERY season on... "Big Brother", "Survivor", "Amazing Race", and even a few other shows that change their name slightly each season.

TGC

7. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    That's what ARWLs are for.

8. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    ?

9. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    That way you don't worry about series ID's or changes in the title. So just set up an ARWL for "Amazing Race + Reality + HD" and "Survivor + Reality + HD", etc.

Works like a charm.

(ARWL = Auto Record Wishlist)

10. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008

This is what I couldn't figure out. Ok thanks.

But what about re-runs? Won't an ARWL record everything? Shows like "The Office" that are on all the time would make it difficult to sort through what is new and what is rerun.

Is there a way to exclude reruns on ARWL?

11. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    It's the same as any other season pass. Set it for new/repeats/whatever, # of shows, etc.

12. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Is there a way to choose only those that air on a specific channel?

13. David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, that would catch all those seasons of TAR that are in HD. ;)

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The simple answer is "Yes". The rest of this thread is talking about edge cases. Only a handful of shows change in a way that invalidates a Season Pass.

"Season Pass" was never intended to imply a single season (and, in that respect, it was perhaps an unfortunate choice of words).

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    +1

The only shows I ever have a problem with are the reality shows that change names, eg Survivor. I have never had a problem with a single other show.

16. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    I can dream, can't I? And I thought it was flagged as HD when it was on the ATSC channel?

17. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Is there a way to make ARWL for specific channels?

For instance, The Amazing Race. Is there a way to make it record on the HD channel and not on the SD?

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

The above should work for you.

19. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    But I don't think the amazing race is in HD, so I don't think putting "HD" in the description will help.

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    there are catagories and one is Hd showings.

some make two ARWL - one with the HD catagory and one without. Put the HD one higher on the list so it has priority but either way the show will record.