1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season Pass Create Menu

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bphagan, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    Just a pet peeve, but when I select a show to record and the menu options are:

Record This Episode
    Season Pass and Other Options
    Explore This Show

I scroll down and select Season Pass ...

On the next screen, the menu options are:

Record This Episode
    Get Season Pass
    Explore This Show

Why do they have 2 menu levels for this?
    Also, when I select Season Pass on the first menu, it defaults to Record This Episode on the second menu instead of Get Season Pass.

Not a big issue at all, but bothers me and I wanted to express my feelings.

I feel better now. :D

bdog

2. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    The first menu lets you choose whether to record (with no options, just a quick record), or else it takes you to the real menu for doing anything else.

Perhaps they'd be better off not listing Season Pass in the first menu, but presumably they think it avoids confusion to list it.

To sum up, you're not actually choosing a season pass twice; the first time you are chopping to go to the menu that allows you to set up a season pass (among other things).

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
  4. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    Sorry to not include the info. Didn't think it was relevant in this case but it's probably always relevant since Tivos go back many years.

I have a decommissioned PremiereXL and a new RoamioPro that both behave this way.

It's not really an issue, just a comment that I select SP and then need to scroll down to select it again on the next Page.

bdog

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    as 59er already pointed out, you are not selecting "Season Pass" from the first menu, you are selecting "Season Pass and other options". One of the options allows you to set the recording options - channel to record if on multiple channels at the same time*, "Keep until", and padding. If you select "Record this showing" from the first menu, you do not get these options.

*Normally the result of there being both an SD and HD version of the same channel.

6. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I just came here to say that I've never seen this on a Tivo and after having now specifically checked my Premiere, the OP must be poorly paraphrasing what the options actually say.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    When using the HDUI, if I bring up the guide, select (using "Select" or "Rec") a future showing of some series that is not already scheduled to record, those are exactly the options I am given, except for that fact that it is actually "Season pass & other options" (ampersand instead of "and"). In the SDUI, the only difference is that it has "Don't record this showing" instead of "Explore this show".

At the first opportunity, I will check on my THD and Series 2, but I'm pretty sure that it is the same.

8. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Ok, I see it now. what happens is it when you choose the SP & other options, you get taken to the program's information page which isn't really a second menu level, it's an entirely new menu. I'd say tivo took the easy route and rather than create another menu for the same thing, they just bring you to the existing page where the menu options have always resided.
    The S2 menus do the same thing.

I probably should have asked the question I was going to ask with my first response 'from what menu are you selecting the show to record?'

9. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I think s slight change to the menus would make them a little clearer.

The 1st menu should be reduced to 2 options
    Recording Options
    Explore This Show

Then the second menu could stay the same.

If you are used to using the Record This Episode to quickly record an episode, you would now need to press the select button twice instead of once.

Currently, if you want to record a single episode and set some options, you need to select the Season Pass & Other Options, not the Record this Episode.

My 2 cents.
    bdog

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Strongly disagree.

11. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    lpwcomp,
    Why? Maybe you can enlighten me why a non clear menu should be left the same?
    You've been using Tivo much longer than me so you may have insight on a reason I am not seeing.
    bdog

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The current menu isn't "non-clear". The only reason you seem to think it is is that you ignored the " & other options".

That said, it is not up to me to defend the status quo, it is up to you to justify a change. Feel free to try but keep the following in mind:

1. Your proposed change is counter-productive as it adds a step to a simple recording request, does not reduce the steps necessary to create an SP (your initial complaint), and no longer tells you that you can create an SP this way.

2. The "other options" are more than just recording options.

13. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    So you don't need help with anything and what you're doing is making a suggestion.
    Suggestions for tivo go in the Tivo Suggestion Avenue forum, not this forum, Tivo Help Center.

14. hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Agree completely. At first glance from what you show, I don't see a need for the first level menu at all. If there is something in there that's unique, I'm sure it could be easily added to the 2nd level.

With the sluggish navigation of the P4, I find myself selecting-ahead (like typing ahead) and landing in the wrong place. I'm learning to slow to Tivo's speed.

The menus are not intuitive at all. Intuitive and simple used to be TIvo's strength. As complexity creeps in, I think they are losing that strength. Having said that, I've never used a standard cable DVR, so I really can't compare to that. My base reference is S2.

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    1. The first level menu is exactly the same on my S2 and it has been that way for a long time.

2. As scandia101 pointed out, this is not the proper forum for this discussion, and is certainly not the place for <adverb deleted to avoid violating forum rules> bashing of the S4 or TiVo in general.

16. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    Sorry it morphed into a suggestion. I will consider adding it to that Forum.

I brought it up originally because I just received a new RoamioPro and need to add SPs from all the shows I was recording on the ComcastDVR.
    When entering 40-50 SPs, I was wondering why they did it that way.
    It just seemed odd that on the first menu when I selected Season Pass & Other Options and on the second menu the Record Episode was the default instead of Season Pass.

I see now that the key is & Other Options, but it still seems odd.

Is there any reason to even have the first menu?
    The second menu is the same but with the options to the right of each record method.

bdog

17. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Yes, there are reasons.

1. The first option is to allow a simple recording without leaving the guide screen.
    2. The second option is for anything more complex, which takes you away from the initial screen and lets you choose the specifics that you need (be that to record with options, set a season pass, cancel a recording, or something else).

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Oh, the horror! :rolleyes:

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How are you getting to that first menu?

20. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    Unitron,
    From the guide if I press select on a show not currently live, then the first menu pops up.