1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - Word is the sale is coming back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! It will be announced today that the PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)."

Search for Upcoming Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by The Merg, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1 of 35
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA
    Are people still having issues in trying to set up OnePasses for shows that are in listed in the Guide yet?

It seems that since Rovi started supplying Guide data, I cannot schedule OnePasses for shows that are in listed in the Guide. For example, I cannot set up a OnePass for 24: Legacy or APB as neither will show up when doing a search.

Anyone know if this is an issue being worked on or if that whole feature is now gone?

Thanks,
    Merg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Jan 9, 2017 #2 of 35
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It worked for me recently for Victoria on Masterpiece before it showed up in my guide but just like with streaming shows it is not working in many cases with the Rovi guide data.

Scott

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #3 of 35
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Since the turnover, I've had no success at all. Sometimes for kicks I'll try a show the day before it's scheduled to show up in the Guide Data. Never once has it worked.

4. Jan 9, 2017 #4 of 35
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It seems TiVo v2 has a much smaller database, so there's not enough room for future shows.

5. Jan 9, 2017 #5 of 35
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA
    TiVo v2?

- Merg

6. Jan 9, 2017 #6 of 35
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Rovi buys TiVo and then renames themselves TiVo.

Scott

JoeKustra likes this.
  7. Jan 9, 2017 #7 of 35
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA
    Gotcha. I thought that is what was implied, but wasn't sure. Not sure though how that makes it so that TiVo has a smaller database now. I just think that they somehow broke the functionality and have not fixed it yet. I think I'll actually file a help ticket with TiVo and see if they respond to it.

Can anyone confirm if this issue is also there on the Bolt?

- Merg

8. Jan 9, 2017 #8 of 35
    mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I searched for 24 Legacy yesterday and it didn't show up.

There was another post a couple weeks ago where someone mentioned a show that was debuting like 14 days from that day wasn't showing up in Search, so I guess we won't be able to setup a 1P until a show is actually in the Guide - which should be no sooner than 12 days before air date.

9. Jan 9, 2017 #9 of 35
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not sure it's a matter of breaking functionality so much as simply not doing the work to put future shows into the database...

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA
    Good point.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was going to just use "TiVo" and drop Rovi totally, but in the Copyrights listings, it still says guide "provided" by Rovi Corporation. I don't know all the details of the corporate internals, but I'm going to use TiVo for everything except the guide, which still seems to be influenced by Rovi. Hence the v2. I didn't think it deserved to be called TiVo 2.0 since that implies (to me) an advancement or improvement. That doesn't pass the laugh test.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA
    Does anyone remember what this feature was actually called when TiVo released it? I believe it was released around last February or so, wasn't it?

I posted about this issue over at the TiVo forums and the reply was that this was not a feature and that you have to wait for it to be in the Guide. There was no response about it being a feature that was removed or that it even existed to begin with.

- Merg

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    For at least the last two years the My Shows display would have, at the end, a pointer to a listing of the new season's shows. You could select a show to make a 1P but it would not allow a specific channel to be entered. This was done only in the fall to the best of my knowledge.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's the feature to which I am referring. You could also do a search and the show would be listed, but it would have no episodes listed. If you set up a OnePass, it would specify the channel to be All Channels. Usually, once the series started, I would go in and then select the specific channel the show was on.

Anyone remember what the feature was called? It did have a name as I remember it being in some sort of email or release notes.

- Merg

15. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    It's a Collection (I think).

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, this is something different that (I think) started with the last big update. Shows that were weeks or months away from showing up in the Guide Data could be searched for, and a 1P set for them (although it could only be an all-channels 1P until it actually turned up in the Guide Data).

But that feature abruptly stopped when Rovi took over.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think you're right. My observation on last fall: Fall Season

18. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

May 15, 2005
    Dawson, GA
    It doesn't work the majority of the time, but last Summer after we switched to the Rovi guide data, I was able to do a search for some of the actors/actresses in a show, check their filmographies, and see a listing for the show (which did not show up in search) and add a OnePass for it.

Sadly, I've tried it many times where it this work-around did not work.

19. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    I think people are talking about two different things here. I was responding to JoeKustra (referring to "new season's shows"), but I did not make that clear.

I don't think the ability to set a OnePass for shows not yet in the guide actually had a formal name. But I could be wrong.

20. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    future shows? I'll settle for netflix and Amazon shows that have been out for months showing up. for example, The Crown just won best drama at Golden Globes, was released November 4th and still is not listed in search