1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search by Title does not find show episodes in guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chrispitude, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1 of 11
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    There are two variants of the show "Top Gear":

* the UK version that airs on my BBCAHD channel
    * the US version that airs on HSTRYHD channel

I see episodes for both shows in the guide. However, when I do a "Find Shows > Search by Title", only the US episodes on HSTRYHD show up; I have no way of adding a season pass for the UK version on BBCAHD.

However, if I go to the guide and select a UK episode, it offers me the option to add a season pass, which I can do successfully, and I see that it schedules the episodes for recording.

Why do the BBCAHD episodes not show up in "Search by Title"? I searched past threads before posting this. I made sure the channel was enabled in the channel list, and I repeated Guided Setup to no avail.

The following movie demonstrates the problem:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6siP6MpKJYw[/media]

Any ideas? I've ended up missing the last 1.5 years of Top Gear UK because it didn't show up in my search when I changed cable companies, and I assumed I no longer had access to it. Thanks, TiVo...

- Chris

2. Mar 9, 2013 #2 of 11
    UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have season passes on both. I simply went to search on my iPhone app and found both versions of Top Gear and was able to set up season passes on both. So obviously TiVo has info for both.

3. Mar 9, 2013 #3 of 11
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    When you do the "Search by Title", how many entries for "Top Gear" do you see in the results? Note that I am not referring to the number "Upcoming Episodes", but the number of "Top Gear" lines in the initial search results.

4. Mar 9, 2013 #4 of 11
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    As soon as I've typed "TOP G" with the on-screen keyboard, I see a single show, "Top Gear". You can confirm this in the movie I uploaded.

As far as I can tell from the guide and from the season pass I've now added from the guide, the shows on the two channels are named exactly the same ("Top Gear").

- Chris

5. Mar 9, 2013 #5 of 11
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    On my Premieres, after I enabled all of the channels on which it appears, I see three entries - One for BBCA and BBCA HD, one for the two HISTORY and one HSTRYHD channel, and one for HISTE. This is true in both HDUI and SDUI.

On my THD, I see 7 entries, one for each channel.

At this time, I can't check it on my active TiVo 2. It resides in someone else's bedroom.

Same title != same series. They are separate and have different series Ids.

6. Mar 9, 2013 #6 of 11
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Exactly - I expected the title search results to return two shows (of the same name).

Thanks for checking on your end! Could I trouble you to take a picture of the title search results and share it with me?

Here's the response I got from TiVo support:

This response does not explain why my title search results are incomplete. I'll need to call them back and talk to them. It would be great to have your picture to show them what I expect to be seeing.

Thank you!

- Chris

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
  8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah, I have seen this behavior before, both on the TiVo and also in TiVoWebPlus. It has to do with some occasional oddness in the MFS indices TiVo uses to handle its search and scheduling features. One of the TiVoWebPlus developers and I went 'round and 'round last year trying to find out why the TWP movie search does not always return the same results as the same search on the TiVo. Sometimes movies will show up in one and not the other. We found a couple of issues, but we never did pin down the main one.

9. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    In my case, this appears to be a bug with the SD interface when two separate series share the same name:

• In the HD interface, "Search by Title" shows two separate "Top Gear" entries, one for each channel.
    • In the SD interface, "Search by Title" shows a single "Top Gear" entry that shows episodes for one of the channels; the other channel is missing from the search results.

lpwcomp, thanks for helping me to track this down. I'll take this information to TiVo support so they can promptly ignore it since it's a bug in the SD interface.

Edit: Apparently they've closed my support case as "Solved" and I cannot reply to it, despite the fact that their link only contains hints for Wish List searches, and has nothing to do with Search by Title. Sigh.

10. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    The response from TiVo:

At least it sounds like they're aware of the issue.

11. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    For me, search by title has been broken for years. If I search for "golf", "pga", or "pga golf", I get everything pertaining to golf with the exception of the actual tournaments!!!

The tournaments have both 'pga' and 'golf' in their title.