1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD TV from THR22?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wezel, May 20, 2012.

1. wezel

wezel New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Deep in the...
    Anybody know of a way to run a old sd tv on my patio from a thr22? It's about a 30' coax run that worked fine before I upgraded. I've tried an RCA adapter on the cable at the TiVo and just get static.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you are running it into the RF (coax antenna, channel 3 etc.) input of the old TV, you will need an RF modulator to turn the composite (yellow, white, red) on the TiVo into a coax signal. They cost about $20.

3. wezel

wezel New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Deep in the...
    ...but do you know why the old style RCA out doesn't work. The manual says they're sd.

4. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!! TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    They do, but you have to run RCA to your TV and your TV needs to have the input to support that. Since you're getting 'static', you're TV is either net set to the RCA input (or doesn't have one), static would only happen on an OTA type tuner.

Your problem isn't that you need an SD output, your problem is that you need to 'encode' the signal as a 'channel' on your TV. That's what the RF Modulator does as the TiVo doesn't have a built in RF modulator like the old ones did.

5. wezel

wezel New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Deep in the...
    Well....with the distance involved, and the limited utility, I think I'll just file this away as too hard to do.

I sure love my two new THR-22's. It's kinda crazy how DirecTV offers them and then tries to talk you out of them in favor of the DirecTV DVR. They also tried to tell me I could only have one!:confused:

6. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
  7. wezel

wezel New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Deep in the...
    Thanks Adam! It turned out I already had a radio shack modulator from several years ago. Works great; RCA's from THR22 to modulator, then coax to tv ch3.

:):):)

8. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Cool! The UHF remote is a huge selling point for the THR. With all of the other tivos you had to do some IR repeater to make it work with the remote...

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Which Adam? Me or the thing about "you need to 'encode' the signal as a 'channel'" nonsense?

10. nmiller855

nmiller855 New Member

Sep 26, 2000
    East of...
    Arcady, did you have a bad day. This is the second non-helpful response I've read from you tonight?

edited to add: I guess not because that appears to be your posting style. I'm so glad we have the ability to ignore people.