1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD-DVR Pixelation

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by andyknas, Aug 28, 2008.

1. andyknas

andyknas New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Have a SD-DVR and some channels are coming in with lots of pixelation. USA, CNBC and others have really bad reception. Many of the other channels come in fine. DirectTV sent me one of their new DVR's to "test" with and these channels come in fine. Is there some reason that the Tivo receiver would have problems with these channels? I've swapped cables, and the issue is apparent off both receivers.

I like DirecTV, and like Tivo, but want a good picture. I am thinking of buying a unit off ebay, but would hate to still have the pixelation if it's something with the DTV service.

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Probably the drive going bad.:( that or the multiswitch

3. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    My experience with drives going bad is audio stuttering, but I have heard of pixelization being a problem too.

I'd pop a new drive in - good excuse to upgrade!

4. andyknas

andyknas New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    it's only certain channels that are pixelated. we can watch NBC, CBS, etc. and they are great. CNBC and USA are not. live is pixelated as well.

I thought it could be something with the signal from one of the LNB's, but the DTV DVR unit that i plugged in is able to pull up these same channels flawlessly using the same coax wire as the tivo unit.

5. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't see why the hard drive would differentiate channels, but, really, there's no such thing as "live" when watching a DVR. Even with "live" you're watching a buffered image from the hard drive. That's why you are able to record a program that you have been watching for a half hour. It's all buffered to the hard drive and that's what you are watching with a couple of seconds delay.

6. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Sounds more and more like a multi-switch problem. I had a problem like that with may old Aspen-Eagle non-powered multi-switch installed by Directv. :)

7. linrey

linrey New Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Sunnyvale, CA
    sound is dropping out on those same channels too. pixelation, fuzzy images. just started today - looked fine yesterday. somethings up...

HR 10-250, SD video

8. andyknas

andyknas New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    i ordered up a new multi-switch. seems to be some signal issue as it's only some channels. just odd that it worked fine with DTV DVR unit.

9. chaz333

chaz333 New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    am pleased to find a site where someone else is experiencing same issues as me -- pixellation, sound dropouts, even the same channels being the primary ones where the problem occurs. andyknas, will you please post an update once you receive / install the multiswitch and let us know if it works?! thanks.

10. zoner88

zoner88 New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    I actually have this issue on my SD-40 (upgraded to 250GB 6.2). Except that I only get it on one satellite input, not both. Thinking it was the multiswitch, I swapped cables around and the same tuner had the same problem so it, to me, seems that my issue with with one of my tuners. Funny though, it doesn't happen on all of the channels, but mostly locals and some 200's. Unfortunately, I have to get it replaced with an R15 :( BUT, if the R15 does the same thing, I'll be VERY confused. I really want to keep my TiVo unit and just upgrade it to 6.4 so I can remote schedule - if that's even possible on a hacked unit ..

11. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    To get your tuner fixed
    http://www.ccscorporation.net/dss.htm
    Probably not possible on a hacked unit, the upgrade would erase the hacks and I do not know if they would work with 6.4a if reinstalled. :)

12. markbox

markbox Ni!

May 3, 2004
    S.F. Bay...
    I used CCS Corp to get my tuner two issues resolved.
    They did a fine job and the unit (Hughes SD-DVR40)
    is working perfectly. Guess I should update my sig
    cause the Hughes unit accidentally got updated to
    6.4a (I had forgotten to unplug the phone line after
    an experiment with another drive).

13. andyknas

andyknas New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    swapped the multi-switch. still seeing some pixelation so it does seem to be a tuner issue.