1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD channels on HD receiver

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by KD9917, Nov 21, 2012.

1. KD9917

KD9917 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Is there any picture quality benefit seen with SD channels when a HD receiver is used and connect via HDMI rather then connected with no HD receiver using composite video a/v cables.

In other words is it worth the cost to upgrade to HD receiver and not purchase HD channels.

2. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    You can see the compression artifacts with more precision?

Really S-Video has much better resolution than most of the SD channels on DirecTV.

The receiver will have more formatting options - like zoom, stretch, etc that your TV may not have.

The receiver may have better SD upscaling than your TV. Or it could be vice-versa.

I thought the HD receivers had to pay the HD fee???

3. KD9917

KD9917 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    ADent,

You might be right about having to pay the HD fee if Directv send you the HD receiver. I was thinking along the lines of picking a used HD unit etc. My HDTV does not have s-video input only Composite and Component inputs. Currently I have an R10 Tivo box connected to HDTV via composite video. The picture is pretty rough, not completely unwatchable but rough. I wanted to know if that picture quality would get better if using an HD receiver and HDMI connection even though still viewing SD channels.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My experience is that SD channels look better with the HR10 (and a component or HDMI output) than using composite or S-Video.

5. KD9917

KD9917 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    I take it the HR-10's are still supported by Directv if I were able to pick one up somewhere?

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Supported for SD, yes. I have one I am no longer using, I suppose I should put it up for sale.

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I hooked up an old SD box today to test it before putting it on ebay. I can't believe how horrible SD looks now that I have been using HD for the past 5 years. I don't think it is worth it to upgrade if you are going to continue to record SD content from DirecTV.

As far as the HD fee goes, I think that is just silly for DTV to charge that. This is 2012. Pretty much every channel is available in HD now. They should charge extra for keeping a satellite in orbit to run those awful MPEG2 SD channels.

8. KD9917

KD9917 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Will the HR10 work with a Phase III dish? Did you have an idea of cost if you were to sell it?

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, the HR10 will work with a Phase III dish. The box I have is "hacked", has a 400GB disk, and includes an Ethernet adapter. $75 plus shipping.