1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Said Good Bye Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DLL66, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1 of 21
    DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    I decided to update my viewing experience and traded my 2 Series 2s for Directv's Genie. I don't have anything negative to say about my Series 2 because they have served me well for the past 12 years.

I'll still be around on this forum! The forum is great!

2. Oct 3, 2013 #2 of 21
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    So ... how much is this costing you, up front and monthly or yearly? And what is your contract obligation?

How many TV sets does this cover? How many simultaneous feeds can you watch and/or record?

After all, if you're still going to hang out here, you need something to talk about. ;)

3. Oct 4, 2013 #3 of 21
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I would like to know that as well, give a great oportunity to compare the GENIE to the Roamio line.

4. Oct 7, 2013 #4 of 21
    DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    I've been with DirecTV this go around since 2007. Up front cost was the $36 for the installation and a 2 year extension. They waived the equipment cost because I mentioned that ATT Uverse offered me $200 for their DVR service. Cost of the service is $13 a month and DirecTV has waived that for a year.

I've got the Genie and the Mini Genie that operates two TV's independently. It can record up to 5 different shows at a time.

My wife and I were paying for HDTV, but mostly watching SD through the Series 2s. The only negative that I have is that I purchased Lifetime Service when I bought them. I surely got my money's worth with that.

5. Oct 7, 2013 #5 of 21
    swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    I hated to let my lifetime Series 2 go too, but it was time. I upgraded my last SD TV to an HD model and dropped the Dish for DirecTV. I got more than my money's worth from the Tivo.

6. Oct 7, 2013 #6 of 21
    dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    How is Direct TV DVR and The Hopper from Dish compared to your Tivo software wise?

7. Oct 7, 2013 #7 of 21
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Comparing a modern Hopper to a Series 2 isn't going to be much of a comparison. I would hope that the Hopper blows the Series 2 away!

The Series 2 came out in 2002 - it is a Dinosaur... But it sure does sound like the OP got the value out of his money on it.

I notice Direct TV is marketing the heck out of it's DVR and services right now. It doesn't surprise me to see more move towards that platform.

8. Oct 9, 2013 #8 of 21
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say you traded them, did you have to physically give them to DirecTV?

Because for people on analog cable, those lifetimed S2s are still quite usable.

9. Oct 9, 2013 #9 of 21
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Also, satellite stands by their equipment and will replace at no charge or, in the case of Dish, shipping charge only, unless one has Protection Plan, then no postage charges. They will send out. Dealing with a dead or truly malfunctioning TiVo through TiVo is a money wasting nightmare. If this is just a dead HDD, than power users can fix that themselves, but the masses are out of luck dealing with TiVo. One is better off going through Weeknees, but they are pricey, but at least they send you a working box, unlike TiVo much of the time. Again, one must consider that the masses are not going to do any DIY. This is one of the reasons TiVo is often passed over by so many: the upfront and eventual additional costs to owning one. Most people choose the freebie route because they can afford monthly charges and the Sat Co will replace malfunctioning equipment. TiVo is in no position to compete with that. TiVo, a really great technology, really is for the affluent and wealthy.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo changed how drive replacement works in the Roamio line. They installed the basic system software into flash memory so you can simply drop in any blank hard drive, up to 3TB, and the system will automatically recognize it and use it. And with the 4 tuner Roamio basic model the power supply is now an external power brick. What this means is that the two most common reasons for TiVo failure are now easily user serviceable, no hacking or special skills needed. Replacing a power supply is as simple as buying a new plug, and replacing a hard drive is nothing more then plugging two connectors into the drive. (SATA and power)

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though don't you still need Torx screwdrivers to open a Tivo, and 'officially' opening the unit voids your warranty?

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So does that mean they've abandoned the combo connector introduced in the S3s?

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually I haven't looked. I bought the Pro so no reason to upgrade. I just assumed it was separate SATA and power cables. But if it is a combo connector then that would be even simpler.

14. DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    I didn't actually trade. More like shelved the S2s.

15. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It is a combo connector on the hard drive, a hard drive upgrade/replacement could not be any easier as T10 and T15 tool can be purchased almost anywhere.
    Things may get more complicated when or if somebody gets tools to use a 4Tb drive in the Roamio as WK has already done, but I would bet the demand to go to 600h of HD record time from 450h is somewhat low.

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    You are also in some cases paying an arm and a leg for satellite. Their solution at least in my experience of standing by the equipment is to send a replacement sometimes for a fee and then extend your contract for two more years. DirecTV released an update that broke some boxes so they would no longer be compatible with Sunday Ticket. He had to pay $100 for a replacement box and they extended him another two years. The $100 got him a refurb old box that was no longer made.

DirecTV also charges you $20 if your access card goes bad.

17. DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN

Arm and Leg? I haven't spent a whole lot of money for the Genie. So far about $45.

18. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I am talking about the cost of service for DirecTV.

19. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    and he did say "in some cases"

20. palover

palover New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    NC
    Torx drivers are cheap and easy to find. Most multifunction screwdriver kits have 'em. As for Tivo's warranty, I don't know what they charge for replacing a hard drive, but after 90 days you pay for labor, and the chances of a drive going bad after 3 months and before 12 are slim.

I'm coming from cable to Tivo, not from DirectTV, and even though I could easily swap a cable co. DVR out when it gave me problems, it just seemed like I was always swapping one problem box for another. Paying $50 a month rental for a couple of sorry, 2 tuner boxes got really old. I'm happy to take my chances with Tivo, especially with the basic Roamio making the main problem issues easily fixable.