1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe disposal of a dead MyDVR Expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by squiredogs, Jul 20, 2012.

1. squiredogs

squiredogs TiVo'er since 1999

Aug 14, 2006
    I replaced my original WD MYDVR Expander (the 500 gig) when it died a couple of years ago with a newer 1 TB model. Damn those lost recordings... Anyway, I assume it's not safe to just chuck it or recycle it, since my TiVo account numbers might be on there somehow. Is there a way to safely get rid of this thing without any security risk?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Take it to the gun range.

Or maybe a sledgehammer.

3. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The drive itself may be OK. Get a case and use it as an external drive for your PC. That is what I did with mine.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo number is not stored on the hard drive, its really on a chip in the Tivo. When you remove an external, the drive is basically "wiped", all recordings were stored on both the internal and external drives at the same time, spread across both.

5. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I would open it up and take the drive out and hook it up to a computer and see if its actually dead first, like he said. I had one of these too and it died and took the drive out and it was just fine. Might as well find out if its actually dead. There might be a good hard drive in there.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Send it to me.

If the drive still works I'll run

dd

or the WD diagnostic disc to write all zeros to it.

I'm not smart enough, educated enough, or experienced enough to be able to extract any data from it beyond the partition map.

The only numbers that might be on there would maybe be the TSN of the TiVo and the MAK of your account.

Even if you entered a credit card number via the unit itself instead of the TiVo website, that would be on the internal drive.