1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 will be able to access in-the clear digital cable channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by theone, Sep 12, 2006.

1. theone

theone New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    On the tivo com vip site under the faqs it has the following info listed:

Will the Series3 HD DVR work without CableCARD(s)?
    Yes. Without CableCARD(s) the Series3 HD DVR will still be able to access in-the clear digital cable channels (generally local channels), basic cable channels, ATSC digital over the air channels (available in high definition in most areas) and analog antenna channels.

I had been looking for specific evidence of this. I would still have liked them to say that they will provide guide data and be able to record in-the clear digital cable channels.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It doesn't have channel mapping though. Tivo apparently told some people that they would look into adding mapping in the future. So its not clear if they are going to add it or not.

3. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Read the FAQ thread at the top of this forum.

4. theone

theone New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    the video from the pcmag review shows a channel editor and channel scan so unfortunately we will have to wait and see how it works.

5. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Or you could just ask what you want to know, some of us have one.

6. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Oh, sure, rub it in :)

7. theone

theone New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Ok megazone first hook yours up to basic cable without a digital cable pkg or cablecard. Do the autoscan and find the in-the clear local hd channels and let me know how they show up when you press the guide button. Also let me know what happens when you press the record button when viewing one of the in-the clear channels.

Thanks.

8. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I did set it up and run the autoscan when I first got it, no cards. It did find a bunch of high numbered channels. I also tuned one of them and it worked.

I didn't record, but TiVo told me that you CAN record from them by time and channel, or just recording from LiveTV.

And if you know the channel you can tune it in directly by entering the numbers.

EDIT: Oh, I do have digital cable - but that doesn't matter, because different cable providers handle it completely differently. So digital simulcast may or may not be present on analog or digital packages. Without a cable card anything the S3 receives is not digital tier since it isn't authorized. The way charter works around here everything is on the cable at all times.

9. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    megazone,

Can you go to the cablecards screen and tell us if there are single or multiple pairing ids? (e.g. does each cablecard think its' in a unique box?) Or is there one id per card?

It appears my local Comcast system isn't set up (yet) to handle a setup that uses a single pairing id for multiple cards (as I presume an M-stream card would). Right now, they see one ID = one outlet = one card.

10. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    IIRC the IDs are different - I vaguely remember that from the install. I'll have to check when I get home.

11. tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    95% of what I record is from the major networks. If I understand the above correctly, It will find my clear QAM channels, aka the major networks. But, without the ability to remap the channels, I won't be able to setup season passes? Which would mean I would have to subscibe to a digital package and have a cablecard, or get my locals OTA?

12. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes, if you want to use the QAM/cable signal

Not exactly. Since the broadcast stations are in the clear, all you need is a cable card, not the whole digital package. Some cable companies want to tie the two together though.

No reason you shouldn't be able to get basic cable + cable cards if pretty much all you want is the 4 major networks over cable.

13. tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I got the impression from Comcast that they wanted to tie the two together. Guess I won't know for sure until I make a phone call.

Thx for the info.

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Gee. This thread has been dormant for almost 2 1/2 years.:D

Surely this problem has been resolved by now.:rolleyes:

Why don't we have channel mapping for clear-QAM.:D

Maybe we need to start a new thread.:rolleyes:

15. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    maybe there is a reason it was dormant

16. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The problem was solved. Tivo updated the language on most of the website to remove confusion