1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Pixelization /Macroblocking?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by thepcdoc, Aug 14, 2007.

1. thepcdoc

thepcdoc New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I returned my HD because the macroblocking was unbearable. I would spend the extra $300 for an S3 if it didn't suffer the same problems that the HD has currently. Is anyone experiencing pixelization on their S3?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't have these problems with my S3. I have Motorola cards from TWC.

3. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Some folks have, some have not. Same with the THD.

With Fios, quite a few people had problems with local HD channels, fewer had problems with SD and HD channels.

4. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    FIOS TV, no issues currently with the S3 (any channel), but still pixelation on the HD box. I think fixing the HD problem is just a matter of the HD software eventually evolving to the same or similar software currently running on the S3.

5. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I have never seen pixelization with either of my S3s (since September)

I have seen some with TivoHD, but expect it will be fixed with a sofware update.

6. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    None here, Comcast cableccards + OTA. Happy user since September.

7. thepcdoc

thepcdoc New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Anyone using SA Cable Cards with no pixelization or a Cablevision subscriber?

8. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    I definitely have pixelation issues on encrypted QAM with S3 and SA cablecards. OTA is fine.

9. jtreid

jtreid New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I had pixelation problems with my S3 earlier this year (March'ish) after I bought my S3 that seem to have gone away. I can't put my finger on what fixed it: comcast signal or new software from Tivo.

10. frostrambler

frostrambler New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    I am on Cablevision with SA cards in Brooklyn and I get sporadic pixelatization too.

11. JimboDunky

JimboDunky Disenchanted User

Mar 6, 2002
    CT
    I have Comcast with a SA PKM600. Installer is coming back on Sat with a new deck of CCs to try with slot 2. Tetris is for gaming not watching HDTV.

12. thepcdoc

thepcdoc New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Do you have an S3 or an HD? I am trying to figure out if the S3s have the same problem that the HDs have and if SA CCs are a factor in the problem if so.

13. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    There are bound to be some problems with S3 pixelation, most likely as a result of signal strength. In the dark days before the THD, it was discussed that the S3 is pickier about signal strength than it's cable company owned brethern. If the same problem that is causing the issues in the THD existed in the S3, I think that there would have been FAR more discussion about the topic a long time ago.

Unfortunately, everytime someone sees a bit of macroblocking on any HD Tivo it's now going to be linked to this problem with the THD.

14. Terial-DeVo

Terial-DeVo New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I have an interesting prob with my S3:

I get pixelization on showtime only
    i have 2 showtime channels that get it
    ShowtimeHD
    Showtime

both channels broacast the same shows at the same time, one is HD and one is not.

I have 3 cable cards:
    2 in my S3 and one in my TV

when i try these 2 channels with my S3, pixelization occurs. If i try the cable card in the TV for these 2 channels, no issues.

I also have a Series 2 box and the non HD channel has no pixelization.

Basically, the S3 is causing pixelization on an HD and non HD channel, all of my other channels seem to work with no issues including other HD channels.

15. Wheens

Wheens Member

Jan 1, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Would someone be so kind to define...preferably in non-techie terms... what the differences are between pixelation, macroblocking, and tiling? Word pictures would be helpful. Methinks they are thrown together... and confused with each other... in most of the discussions.
    TIA.

16. Terial-DeVo

Terial-DeVo New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    This is a picture i took not 5 minutes ago of Showtime HD

I call this Pixelization

[​IMG]

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    No difference in this form as the terms are used interchangeably. TiVo does call it macroblocking.

18. msu2k

msu2k New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Holt, MI
    Showtime and Showtime HD are fine for us on our S3, but Show Too (Showtime 2) has macroblocking and audio drops every 5 seconds. HBO 2 is the same way. All the rest of our regularly watched channels seem fine. Comcast said the signal is about as good as it gets. I'm not even sure it's worth complaining to Tivo about it because its been going on for so long for other people here. :(

19. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I had some small macroblocking on my S3, it cleared up earlier this year. I don't know if it was signal problems and changes to the cable cleared it up, or if it was a software issue which got fixed.

20. jtreid

jtreid New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Yep! That's what I used to have. Interestingly enough, it really only caused me problems watching Hell's Kitchen. I don't remember it being a big problem on any other shows/channels. Since sometime earlier this year, now I can watch chef Ramsey humiliate those ignorant chef-wanna-bes in clear, non-tiled, HD. :)

Like btwyx said, I don't know what changed for it to get cleared up: software, signal, sun, moon, stars....