1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 composite out shield missing?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Bighouse, May 5, 2013.

1. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    On the back of my S3 I notice that one the component outs are missing the outer shield on the green connector...or, does the green connector not have a shield on it?

Is this something that can be repaired or should I just use an HDMI out and then a HDMI to component converter?

Attached Files:

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You're missing the shield, it's supposed to be there.
    I'd just use HDMI, in fact I can't think of a reason not to if you have it as an option.

3. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    It can be repaired, but probably a converter would be cheaper. I assume that wherever the signal is going only has component in as opposed to also DVI. If it had DVI then HDMI to DVI would be better.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Since this is a ground why not just jumper the outside of the RCA connector to another one of the connectors?

5. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Hmmmmm....good point! Can the jumper be grounded to any part of box?

6. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    all the shields are directly connected to the system ground

7. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Or just ignore it. As it's component, you need the red green and blue connected. If it works otherwise, just leave it. The shield will be supplied by the other connectors at the other end (the device you connect it to will ground all three lines together, so you'll get green shielded that way).

If it works just use it. Now, if the connector is completely broken and you don't have green (which means component won't work at all) then you need to replace the connector.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I have a 540 that's the same way on the right audio out, but since both audio channels use the same ground, and there's a common ground at most anything I'd plug it into, it's not a problem (plus it's lifetimed and I got it for about $20).

Borrow an ohmmeter, check for continuity between the red and blue component (not composite, that's the yellow one) shields/grounds.

If they're tied together, the green one is sure to be tied to them as well internally, i.e., on the circuit board to which that jack stack is soldered.

Now check for continuity between grounds on whatever you're plugging it into, which there almost certainly will be.

If you've got it in both places, you shouldn't have any problems because of the shield on that one jack being missing.

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    One reason to not use it is that you can't have HDMI connected while NOT actually viewing the HDMI connection.. e.g. recording to a DVD recorder or similar..

(Yes, there are workarounds via adding extra 'active' splitters and such, as I've commented in other threads..)