1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 - Charter - SDV - Random channels not available.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dig-Doug, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Dig-Doug

Dig-Doug Charter subjectee

Jan 14, 2004
    Athens, AL
    I have a had a M-stream card with an SDV on Charter based out of Decatur, AL for a long time with 0 issues. I switched plans, and now a varying number of random channels are "not available" (as opposed to the error message where you press select to re-tune). If I leave it on the channel, it will appear in 5-30 minutes. Charter has swapped SDVs, M-stream cards, reflashed them all and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas, I have been fighting this for a month, and I don't think the Charter techs/enigneers have any ideas what is causing this....

2. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    How old is the main coax cable drop (from utility pole or vault) to your house?
    Does your area have a problem with rodents, squirrels or rats, chewing cables?
    That happened here, a squirrel chewed the coax cable at the utility pole.

3. Dig-Doug

Jan 14, 2004
    Athens, AL
    They replaced the line from the pole to my house, signal strength went up a little bit, but didn't solve the problem.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I suspect the problem is back at their head end where the equipment is just slow to respond to requests to put a particular channel on the line.

I further suspect that they are your only option for cable service at your location.

5. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    There is also the possibility that the bandwidth is filled.
    After all, the whole point of SDV is so they can cram 12lbs of crap in a 10lb bag. :mad:
    Have charter give you one of their boxes and see if the same thing happens.

6. Dig-Doug

Jan 14, 2004
    Athens, AL
    Not happening with a standard HD box, tried that already, but I did observe that every channel playing a basketball game yesterday seemed to work just fine :p

Got a new tech working the problem today, will see if he has any new approaches...

7. Dig-Doug

Jan 14, 2004
    Athens, AL
    So the Charter techs officially gave up today.... what are the chances that moving to a Roamio gets around this problem? (Thinking that the newer design may deal with the issues better....)

8. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I'd say there is a 50% chance a roamio will work properly...
    Try working tivo to give you a deal on an upgrade to roamio.

9. Jono0055

Jono0055 New Member

Apr 10, 2014
    I am having the same issue with Brighthouse cable in Florida with a brand new Roamio. No luck for 2 weeks now for them to fix the issue with the SDV channels.